Heavy objects in the boot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Hope you are well? Based on a conversation I had recently with someone I thought I'd ask here.

Where do you stand on the risk level of transporting heavy items in the boot?

I drive extra carefully when taking a carful to the tip but generally didn't give too much thought to having a couple of heavy suitcases in the back. I usually have a spare tyre in the boot and a small jack and tyre iron stored under the spare.

My car is a Skoda yeti, but did not have the extra kit when I bought it that raises the boot level.

Do you folks secure similar items when transporting?

Cheers

Larry

Sponsored Links
If it fits, it fits!

I managed to transport some timber to my allotment in the Golf. Yeah, yeah, I know…..

565F4596-2DD5-4976-85CC-4CAB8AD37A3E.jpeg

Hey folks,

Hope you are well? Based on a conversation I had recently with someone I thought I'd ask here.

Where do you stand on the risk level of transporting heavy items in the boot?

I drive extra carefully when taking a carful to the tip but generally didn't give too much thought to having a couple of heavy suitcases in the back. I usually have a spare tyre in the boot and a small jack and tyre iron stored under the spare.

My car is a Skoda yeti, but did not have the extra kit when I bought it that raises the boot level.

Do you folks secure similar items when transporting?

Cheers

Larry
Your Yeti will comply with ECE Regulation 17 on seat strength. Part of that, is a simulated crash, with a variety of "test objects" in the luggage area. They mustn't penetrate (or demolish) the rear seat backrests in a crash.

Obviously, if you're going to take something like an old engine block to the tip, there's a limit to what the testing covers, but for most everyday objects, you'll be fine.

A lot of cars have additional load lashing points in the boot floor. The Yeti might well have some. They're usually little folding D-rings, or similar.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Avocet, that's a really informative post. I had a look and there are some metal rings, I have some ratchet straps so I guess it wouldn't hurt to tie the spare tyre down for the belt and braces.

I have carried half a ton at times in my boot.
Once 200Kg of mixed mortar.
Imagine if I'd had to break sharply :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you Avocet, that's a really informative post. I had a look and there are some metal rings, I have some ratchet straps so I guess it wouldn't hurt to tie the spare tyre down for the belt and braces.
nothing wrong with securing items, especially in case of accidents.

but weight wise. How about 3 burly blokes sitting in the back? Car is designed for some weight, more than just the normal driver

That's only half load.
Surely you can pack a lot more in our VW.
I built a porch not long ago and transported all the material in 3 trips.
On the road, no problem but the track I had to go down was rutted on both sides and higher in the middle - I was bottoming out with that load on.

I look at my car, payload 619 kg (1365 lbs), which is gross vehicle weight (2600 kg) minus curb weight (1981 kg) without a driver. At 56 lbs each that's 24 bags, well really 20 bags as also my weight driving it, and the Kia Sorento is not a small car.

With a trailer I have towed two Iso containers full of water likely 2¼ ton, it is plated to two 3 ton, and it did it without a problem, did not use low range, but would not want to tow it far, water sloshing is not good.

Sponsored Links
Back