Heavy objects in the boot

I went to pick up the turf for my lawn in the 406. With the rear seats down it's a space of about 6'6 x 4' -- lots fits in there.

I didn't think about the weight of wet turf, though! Had to make three trips which covered 60 miles for a place originally 'only down the road'.

Sponsored Links
I went to pick up the turf for my lawn in the 406. With the rear seats down it's a space of about 6'6 x 4' -- lots fits in there.

I didn't think about the weight of wet turf, though! Had to make three trips which covered 60 miles for a place originally 'only down the road'.
You should've just loaded the lot.
I had a 405 and many times the rear shocks were all the way down

You should've just loaded the lot.
I had a 405 and many times the rear shocks were all the way down

I almost did initially, then had to unload as the wheel arches were resting quite firmly on the tops of the tyres :D

I nearly bought a 405 earlier in the year just as another hobby car, but didn't have the space and had a little one on the way. Great motors.

I almost did initially, then had to unload as the wheel arches were resting quite firmly on the tops of the tyres :D

I nearly bought a 405 earlier in the year just as another hobby car, but didn't have the space and had a little one on the way. Great motors.
I know.
The best thing about that old 405 was that it was running on nothing.
It would easily do 70mpg.
Mind you, it was only a 1.9 diesel not turbo.

Sponsored Links
I know.
The best thing about that old 405 was that it was running on nothing.
It would easily do 70mpg.
Mind you, it was only a 1.9 diesel not turbo.

I also hear within the 406 owner's club that the quality of the ride (comfort-wise) was better in a 405. Shame the 407 marked a decline in what was a successive run of fantastic cars.

They really are great on fuel. I think the 1.9 was the last you could safely run off vegetable oil and I've spoken to a few who have done it.

I am not sure that would be economical now, buying new oil - £1.80 per litre at bulk wholesale prices.

Sadly true, although the bloke I spoke to used strained/filtered oil from his local chippy which he got free! Think he had to pre-heat it in a tank in the boot of what I think was a Xantia estate.

Where do you stand on the risk level of transporting heavy items in the boot?

I drive extra carefully when taking a carful to the tip but generally didn't give too much thought to having a couple of heavy suitcases in the back. I usually have a spare tyre in the boot and a small jack and tyre iron stored under the spare.

My car is a Skoda yeti, but did not have the extra kit when I bought it that raises the boot level.

Do you folks secure similar items when transporting?

Cheers

Larry
Just remember those heavy suitcases will be even heavier if you put stuff in them .

I also hear within the 406 owner's club that the quality of the ride (comfort-wise) was better in a 405. Shame the 407 marked a decline in what was a successive run of fantastic cars.

They really are great on fuel. I think the 1.9 was the last you could safely run off vegetable oil and I've spoken to a few who have done it.
Yep!
Done that on a 50/50 ratio with diesel for many years.
25 litre of vegetable oil used to be a tenner.

Got 10 3x2 concrete slabs off Freecycle a few years ago, they're about 65kg each so just about ok for my Berlingo. When I got there they turned out to be 3" granite so I ended up with around a tonne in the boot. Managed ok but on the next service I noticed that the bump stops were pretty much non existent, fortunately only £7 each for new ones.

Sponsored Links
Back