Heavy Top UPVC Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if anyone could help or have any suggestions.

We having an extension built on our house and one of the windows that we requested was a top hung UPVC window that is one sash at 1220mm wide and 1510mm high of toughened/laminated double glazing, no more than 80kg in weight.

Before install, the fitters did say it was hitting the max size they would supply at and they would use heavy duty friction stays so that it opened (and stayed open) properly. However, after fitting, the window only opens a few cm and stays open, if we open it anymore, it just falls back down to almost closed and we are told that the friction stays have been tightened as much as they can be.

I've been going round and round the internet for days trying to find some solution (other than just wedging something in the window which is dangerous with a child around). I've looked at retro-fitting pistons, sliding stays, commercial type friction stays, custom ironmongery, etc... but to no avail. The closest thing I've found that might help is replacing the current 'heavy duty' friction stays with this commercial one:

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...Qv71aAxEdD0dmAvJpYRoC2ooQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But no idea if that will do the job. Has anyone come across this before or have any suggestions? Removing/modifying the window is not an option, unfortunately.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Possibly some sort of peg stay like this
Peg stay.jpg

Could be fitted to either the top or the side. Tricky bit will be finding one to fit around or past the moldings

Thanks Gazman, sorry it's taken a while to reply. That's definitely worth a look into as it's not something I've found in my research.

I will look into it and get in touch with my window guy to see if it's a goer.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back