Hedge not growing in some sections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20230621_194155.jpg

Hi folks,

As you can see the hedge is not growing where the two arrows are in the picture.. its growing as it should on the right and I have tried everything from adding fertiliser, watering and add plant food but nothing has worked.

Can someone advise what could be the problem? Also can you tell what type or hedge that is?

Sponsored Links
^^ Agreed. Trim the privet back so that you can see if there are any dead bits that could be removed.

I have pruned it twice over the past two years.. all other sections grow fine and the two sections pointed don't grow in height much.. the right side is as high as 7 feet

Sponsored Links
Twice over 2 years, don't you like trimming hedges? Trim it every 3 - 4 weeks in the growing season. Leave the top if you want it to grow up although a light trim to get rid of the straggly bits will keep it looking good. When you trim the sides slightly taper it in from bottom to top so you don't deprive the bottom of sunlight. Report back in 2 years

Pmsl... I'd like to know how many folk prune the hedge more than twice a year... Trimming yes I do every 2-3 weeks in summer and longer in winter !!

The hedge is fine; just a little off the top and maybe something for the weekend.
That lawn has been cut too short though and desperately needs a drop of water.

Yes, it was last trimmed at the end of July ! Who uses shears on this size of hedge these days??

Last edited:
End of July, so thats a no then? That hedge is so small you could use scissors, having said that its to high for that size gate and garden anyway, have you got nosy neighbours.

July - last year? Time to trim, i think. Perhaps you could take it down by the gate, level with the top of the post, then slope up to the other end where the car is parked. Give it some shape.

That was a typo lol.. end of June.. come on!!! Its trimmed every 2 to 3 weeks

Well if thats 3 weeks growth can't see what the OP is all about unless you think all hedges grow at constant rate, trim to required height and just wait for things to catch up (in about 3 weeks at a guess)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back