Trim/cut/minimise neighbour's ugly plant growing over fence

I have had great success in this project but in a very unexpected way.

Armed with hedge shears (owned) and a long-handled hedge trimmer (hired from HSS) my partner and I started attacking the weed on our side of the fence with an intent to cut away as much as possible.

When we cut away what was coming over to our side we discovered that the weed was growing on top of an old, tall, Y-shaped tree stump. The tree stump allowed the weed to grow at such a height also give it plenty of support to jump easily into neighbouring properties.

I was using a metal garden rake to pull as much of the cut branches into our side so that it did not mess up our neighbour's gardens. In doing so inadvertently I gave the tree stump the mildest of nudges and it simple fell down! It turned out that the tree stump was completely dead and termite-ridden. Also the weight and the tautness of the weed was holding it erect. When the tree stump fell tt took the rest of the weed with it so now we have no weed whatsoever above the fence line.

I did go have a chat with the neighbour about his tree stump falling down. I had to knock for 20 minutes before the door was opened but he was okay with what I did.

See the attached photos for the before and after photos (unfortunately I did not take a photo of the tree stump before it fell down).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back