Trim/cut/minimise neighbour's ugly plant growing over fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum Members,

An ugly plant from the neighbour's garden is growing on top of the boundary fence. I have attached some photos with this post.

This plant dries up every winter and becomes a dry, ugly mass of twigs. And next spring and summer it greens up again and the newest layer grows on top of the previous mass of brown. Result being it looks like a "dome" but is only green on the outer layer with the inner layers being completely dry.

I have tried to talk to my neighbour but (a) have not been able to meet them yet despite multiple attempts (b) have wrote to them but have not received any replies.

I am still pursuing the "good neighbour" route of talking to them and asking them to take it down (and even offering to contribute monetarily to that effort). However in parallel I want to remove as much of this ugly plant from my side as possible.

What are you recommendations? Can I use hedge trimmers like the ones below to "trim" this plant? The plant is not stiff like a typical hedge so I am not 100% sure if this will work. What do you think?

http://www.hss.com/g/62412/Hedge-Trimmers.html
http://www.hss.com/g/62416/Long-Handled-Hedge-Trimmer.html

Sponsored Links
AFAIK....
you are not allowed to kill the plant but the plant is allowed to die as a result from being cut back to their boundary, as long as there's no preservation order.
imagine a line/plane straight up from your boundary/boundaries. cut the plant back to this line. all parts you cut off are your neighbours property so either pop round with them in a bag or keep them safe for a bit giving them time to claim them before you tip them.
from the looks of it half an hour with a ladder and some secateurs would sort it out.
:D

It looks like bindweed which is a pernicious weed that twines and chokes everything it clings to. Have you got shoots coming through at ground level under the fence too - you might want to install a root barrier if so and if the neighbour doesn't maintain their garden.

You can cut it right back to the boundary using whatever means will work. I'd try normal hedge shears first if you have them - you should be able to clear the top pliable layer with these. You may need the powered trimmer for the woody undergrowth.

RHS page on bindweed.

Sponsored Links
Just get a hedge trimmer and obliterate it. They are obviously not bothered about their garden judging by the state of it.

Isn't it a rental property?

All good advice above. You are entitled to cut back to your boundary but the trimmings belong to your neighbour. No reason you have to put up with that invasion in the corner of your garden.

Get at it with a hedgetrimmer. Job done in about 10 mins :D

For the cost of hiring a hedge trimmer (if you don't already own one) just buy a set of shears/loppers, won't take long to cut it back to the fenceline :)

Unless you see a gardener working in the area who wants £20 for a wee homer ;)

Thanks for all the useful replies!

In response to your questions:

(a) Hedge trimmer - Yes, this looks like the best short-term solution. I am currently exploring whether to hire one from HSS or to buy a cheap one in case I need to use it again and again. I will trim away all the part of the plant overhanging my property.

(b) General condition of neighbour's garden - Yes, their entire garden is neglected and overgrown. Believe it or not there are 2 other gardens adjacent to mine that are worse that the garden in the photos.

(c) Bindweed - Yes, I am 99% sure it is bindweed. And I do have roots/shoots coming through the ground level. I will try and install a root barrier.

(d) Goats - Excellent eco-friendly and cheap option. Not sure if it would work due to the scarcity of hirable goats and abilities of the goats to jump that high (then again they can stand on the shed roof) ;)

I am finding it difficult to find shops that sells root barriers in small enough quantities.

Does anybody know of a high-street retailer or an online shop where I can order some?

Thanks.

Don't bother with the root barrier - bindweed will find its way around.
Use roundup or similar. You are after all only killing weeds in your garden.
Aldi currently selling excellent, cheap hedge shears and loppers for £7-99.

Problem is if I apply roundup won't it render that part of the soil unusable for the near future for my own plants?

No - glyphosate on its own is non-residual.

Watch the spray doesn't drift onto anything you don't want to kill though.

There are much cheaper ways to buy it than Roundup - Rosate 36 for example.

Might be a bit late in the year for using weedkiller?

I would still go for a root barrier, it will keep most of it at bay. If you rely on spraying, it's only effective when the plant is growing strongly so for most of the year, spraying is a waste of time and money. And it's not actually your plant to kill. Glyphosate is a systemic killer which is transported through the plant. You won't just be killing the shoots which appear on your side if you keep spraying.

ETA - you don't need pukka root barrier. An offcut of dpc does the job fine.

Use roundup or similar. You are after all only killing weeds in your garden.
It looks & sounds almost certain that the neighbour won't give a toss, but technically he may not kill the plant, as it's not growing in his garden, by the looks of it.

Probably won't be long though :mrgreen:

Weed or not - if the neighbour likes it (e.g. it hides an ugly fence), he might get upset if the OP kills it.

Russell - do you never see him? Can you not buttonhole him when he's leaving/returning to the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back