Hedge not growing in some sections

Hi folks, the point I was raising about lack of growth in the two section pointed by an arrow.. this was a straight line when trimmed but as you can see from the picture, it has only properly grown in the right where the grass is.. the growth is not even.

Anyhow, on during my travels on the Internet there suggestions improving the drain as it could be the symptom of wet roots

Sponsored Links
Another typo?
OP, you quoted @Alec_t saying "Another typo" but did not respond.

You changed 'end of July', which means last year, to 'end of June' which still means last year.

Hi folks, the point I was raising about lack of growth in the two section pointed by an arrow..
I'm not an expert but there seems to be new growth in both those areas.

this was a straight line when trimmed but as you can see from the picture, it has only properly grown in the right where the grass is
Define 'properly'. It seems to have recent growth all over, albeit more in some areas than in others.

the growth is not even.
Correct. There are many reasons that plants close to each other will grow at different rates. That is why a hedge like this needs to be trimmed regularly if you want it to keep a particular shape, and the maximum size of that shape is limited by the slowest growing part.

Did you plant the hedge? To make the growth as even as possible you need to make the conditions as even as possible, so before the hedge was planted the ground underneath needed to be prepared; some parts may have had more stone/clay/sand/whatever which will affect drainage, the amount of nutrients available, etc.

Using the forum on phone is not ideal, autocorrect etc make it hell and cause confusion. Apparently the emojis don't show up on the forum which adds to the confusion.

To summarise, the hedge is trimmed regularly, it was last trimmed at the end of May 2023.

I didn't plant the hedge, the house was built in the 50s so assume its as old as the house.. I have 2 14 feet wide sections.. one grows eventually both up and at the sides but the section in the picture is uneven.

I have tried to add plant food, compost and feed but still no gains.

I have pruned it twice over the past two years.. all other sections grow fine and the two sections pointed don't grow in height much.. the right side is as high as 7 feet

I have to trim our hedge, at least three times each summer. Might there be concrete in the ground, from the likes of fence posts, restricting the growth?

Sponsored Links
I have to trim our hedge, at least three times each summer. Might there be concrete in the ground, from the likes of fence posts, restricting the growth?
That's a good point, when I put the compost and new top soil I found alot of rubble so perhaps that could be the issue

Hi folks, the point I was raising about lack of growth in the two section pointed by an arrow.. this was a straight line when trimmed but as you can see from the picture, it has only properly grown in the right where the grass is.. the growth is not even.

Anyhow, on during my travels on the Internet there suggestions improving the drain as it could be the symptom of wet roots
Hedges don’t grow straight , you trim them straight, no plants grow at the same rate or evenly .

Strange the other side is growing normally up straight, sideways and evenly as it should.

20230622_210447.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back