Hedge taking over garden....help!!

Sponsored Links
spesh - what sort of boundary fence do you intent erecting - timber posts & panels (solid), ranch type, wire on posts, etc., etc., etc? Let us know the purpose of the fence.

If the proposed fence is just to keep the dog from roaming consider strimming back a bit, drive in some chestnut stakes then fix chestnut palings, or stakes and galvanised deer fencing. Then let that great looking hedge grow back and through the fencing ... I bet it's a dream habitat for wildlife currently so why wreck it (I'm always on a mission to promote wildlife habitat)?

Oh, and don't hack it back yet 'cos you'll disturb the nesting birds.

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought too much about fence style to be honest but I did ponder on whether I actually need one with this hedge 'tidied' up.

Our garden is definitely a haven for wildlife, etc. Problem is, the garden is only around 12ft wide and this hedge has already taken up 4ft of that!

I really need to get it trimmed.

On the nesting question, how long should I hold off? Also, best way to tackle the trim?

Like the idea of the chestnut stakes and pailings.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
spesh - nests? Observation is the answer (look in the hedge now for nests to see if you have any, and looking at your growth I'd be suprised if you didn't) but general rule of thumb is they'll finish nesting late Summer.

Use a hedge trimmer, electric or petrol both cheap enough to buy (or hire), or hedge shears (the sort of thing our Grandads used - alot of arm ache). Strimmers hack and IMO leave a messy result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back