Fencing ON TOP of a hedge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i am hopeing some one can help us. We have had a few issues with neighbours and we now wish to erect a fence between us. However there is currently a 1m high hedge. We were going to just build the fence infront of the hedge therefore losing a little garden space and a nice soft boundary for the sake of privacy. However a family member suggested that we built a fence on top of the hedge, right in the middle of the hedge. ie erect 3 posts, 2 at either end of the hedge and one in the middle (having to cut into the hedge) then board onto horizontal boards. does that make sense? But I don't know if this has ever been done or is it possible? Would someone be able to help please? It would be nice not to loose the hedge altogether.

Sponsored Links
if its front garden 1m max rear 2m max not sure if its the same on clyde side

posts in a hedge are going to be nearly impossible as the posts are likley to interfere with the main roots

Sounds slightly bizarre & impractical solution to me :eek: More info please;
• As Big-all says, where is it front or back?
• Who’s responsible for the boundary?
• Whose hedge is it (who planted it gives a clue regardless of who is responsible for the boundary?
• Where is the boundary, one side or t-other or centre?
• How long is the hedge?
• Does it occupy the whole length of the garden or just a part of it?
• What’s the problem with your neighbour?

Sponsored Links
yeah, that's not a good idea, because the hedge will grow into the fence and it will become one big mess !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back