Hedge Trimmer/Cutter Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents Laurel hedge has got a bit out of control so it's falling to me to cut it down to size. It's become quite tall and bushy with branches around 5mm thick. The height isn't so important as the bushy'ness for now tho.

There seems so many hedge cutters on the market that I'm not sure what to go with. Price is probably the major consideration unfortunately, but it should be able to do the job and be built to a decent quality. Could someone recommend me some models that would be suitable for this thickness of branch? I'm not concerned with cordless as running a lead is fine if it works out cheaper!

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This looks good value. 3 Year warranty. Long cutting bar.

Or the cheapest Titan from Screwfix

Make sure you have a RCD Adapter. Very easy to cut the cord.
My cable gets shorter most years

And probably some ear defenders.

@mcprinter Thanks a lot for those. Would this one from screwfix be suitable too? I'm just thinking in advance about needing to do the top too. I presume it would still be able to handle the side with the telescopic arm pulled in?

I had one of those or very similar. Internal gears stripped after a few years but that can happen with any long/standard cutter in this price range.
The heavy motor is up by the blade and I found it quite tiring to use.
Standard one the motor is between your hands

How tall is the hedge?
Mine is about 7-8 ft and I find steps with a normal cutter for the top much better - this is also where the Hyundai longer cutting bar is an advantage.

Sponsored Links
@mcprinter Thanks again. That makes sense regarding the cutter motor being at the top. Less areas of failure are always good. I think I'll go with the Hyundai then.

Many thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back