Best Tool to Tackle an Ackward Hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a conifer hedge I want to trim back with extreme prejudice. It's about 4m long and 3m high. I want to trim it right back to the trunks. It's next door's hedge so I'm going back to the boundary and having a fence built so I can reclaim about 1m of driveway.

Now from the way it's positioned, I reckon I can only tackle it working from the right hand side and work to the left. Also with the way conifer branches are, I think it better to work from the bottom upwards. Problem is I don't really know what power tool is the appropriate weapon of choice. I had though of a small chainsaw, but it could be ackward to handle especially at height. Or one of those 3-in-1 chainsaw/hedge trimmer/strimmer things perhaps?

Has anyone got any recommendations based on experience?

Attachments

• 20150808_173439.jpg
    20150808_173439.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
No power tools - a bow saw, pruning saw and a small hand axe are all you need and you'll keep all your limbs ;)

nige is right. a good pruning saw like a silky will be almost as fast as a chainsaw, cheaper and much much safer. Be wary and check each branch before cutting or you may leave a massive hole in their side by cutting something.

I was hoping for something with an engine. It's a big, dense hedge and will take a lot of elbow grease and time doing it old school. In my want-it-now mind I was optimistically planning to get the gig done in a morning.

Sponsored Links
A reciprocating saw with a proper blade works well.

Using a chainsaw in a confined space such as inside a conifer is a very dangerous thing to do if your not experienced with one.

If you must use a petrol tool use a long-reach pole saw. Then there is little risk of kickback injuring you or maiming you. work methodically and remove the branches to keep your work area clear.

you may need a chipper/ shredder if its more than 15m, the volume of waste will be much higher than you expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back