Hedges

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Got a problem with an 80 ft long X 6ft high waneylap fence down the side of the house, which is also a park entrance. Kids have started writing graffiti and lifting the panels out.

I propose removing the fence and replaceing it with chainlink and a hedge,(hopefully) intertwining into the chainlink.

For privacy, I am going to temporarily put the panels back on wooden posts, set back about 2 or 3 ft until the hedge establishes.

Any ideas for a suitable evergreen and decorative, spikey or prickly hedge, That will grow in a reasonable time?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
none what so ever, but while you are waiting you could grow a russian vine also known as mile a minute, because of how fast it grows

We have a similar location, but with a featherboard fence. We've had a couple of boards broken so far -fairly easy to replace though - and of course graffiti. I'm a little surprised you can't secure the wood somehow, but not really familiar with those panels. Chain link solves graffiti, but they too can pulled around a bit remember. And once they get a bit loose it tends to be a viscous circle and the hole thing ends up sagging. An option might be featherboard? ..or ideally, shoot the little s*ds. But anyway....

Regarding plants; I've looked into this because I wanted fast growing "security plants" behind our featherboard at vulnerable points. The local Police web sites tend to list the 'security plants'. This is what I did: The fastest growing of mine are the large 'climbing' roses. I've got Mme Alfred Carriere, Gregoire Staechelin, Gloire de Dijon - all from crocus.co.uk. (Titchmarsh is linked with them so their kosher). In a year and a half they've grown from about 9 inches to 6 feet (with the odd 9 feet branch) and about 4 feet wide. They're very sharp and thorny. Pyracantha (firethorn) is also supposed to be very fast growing (although mine aren't doing much yet - they're 4-5 feet in the same time but were 3 feet when I got them). They have big sharp thorns and are probably the ultimate in 'attack plants' once established - you'd need a flame thrower to get through a big established bush. Hawthorn grows big and thorny, and is supposed to be fast, but my one has done about the same as the Pyracantha so far. Rosa Rugosa won't grow as tall ultimately as those mentioned, but make good 5-6 ft tall hedges when planted together. They have needle like thorns up the stems, and a couple of mine have grown about 4-5 feet in the same time, but some haven't grown more than a foot or so for some reason. I've recently planted some Berberis (yellow and purple) which are of smaller ultimate size, but quite vicious thorns. Some of these plants are more sensitive than others to to soil conditions etc. (probably my Rogosas and drainage). But the Pyracantha should handle most conditions, and if I remember correctly the Hawthorn too. Roses are fast and attractive, but maybe prone to conditions and disease - I had to cut all the leaves off one because of 'rust' but it just sent out more stems and has recovered.

If you go with the chain link, you could have a combination of the thorny stuff for security and some even faster growing non thorny stuff for privacy.

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
Hello,

My garden backs onto a park to. Damn kids in the evening! Ive planted hawthorn on the other side of my garden fence (this is not evergreen). For an evergreen security hedge it would have to be Pyracantha (cheap, fast growing and prickly). The posh version would be Holly (expensive, slow growing and also prickly). Also please remember for a thicker hedge to cut back the plants by half after planting. Another tip would be to wait for Autumn, when bare root plants will be available at a lot cheaper cost. Hope this helps.

Joseph

david and julie said:
Got a problem with an 80 ft long X 6ft high waneylap fence down the side of the house, which is also a park entrance. Kids have started writing graffiti and lifting the panels out.

I propose removing the fence and replaceing it with chainlink and a hedge,(hopefully) intertwining into the chainlink.

For privacy, I am going to temporarily put the panels back on wooden posts, set back about 2 or 3 ft until the hedge establishes.

Any ideas for a suitable evergreen and decorative, spikey or prickly hedge, That will grow in a reasonable time?

Thanks.

There's a great security plant out now to keep the graffitti ****s in check. I can only remember it's latin name though, I think it's called 'Chainus Linkus 240Voltius Fensus' or something like that. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The yobs around our way have discovered that hedges burn quite well, especially conifers, I hope your troublesome kids don't progress to this. In the good old days this would never have happened. You would have given them a clip round the ear and their parents would have done likewise. The nanny state doesn't breed respect and discipline.

Pyracantha is certainly thorny and quite quick growing, I fell in ours the other month, didn't half sting, removing those three inch thorns :oops:

Thanks very much for all your suggestions so far.

daveyj

Tried to secure the fence, just a waste of time though. The council have caused this problem, the entrance is a short cut and they have put on a gate which is locked at night. There's been no gate for the last 50 years and the local people are not happy. The lady opposite put up concrete panels, so they nicked them!

Sweetbriar is also a good evergreen, with the most evil thorns! :evil:

If you can it would be good to create a hedge with a mix of evergreen & prickley plants that are native, as they will also contribute to the wildlife value. I would go for a mix of Hawthorn, Privet, holly and blackthorn.

The problems been resolved for now.

Some cheeky bu**ers ;) have removed and thrown the offending gate and its all gone quiet again. The council said there is no point in replacing it.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'm also finding this thread useful. I got burgled last year and last week my neighbour stumbled upon same or new casing my house again ( said he was the gardner then ran off ) so I need some security plants to cover over gates and a hole into next door. I bought a pyracantha but seeing that they seem to be a bit slow might go the climbing rose route as mentioned by Dave.

Certainly will look prettier than the barb wire or nuclear landmines I was planning.

Regards

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back