advice on replacing old fence with new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some advice please.

I want to replace my back garden fencing. Currently I have 6x5 waneylap panels nailed to 5ft wooden posts which are

concreted into the ground. These panels are now falling apart in places.

I have 8 panels travelling the length of the garden on the left side 8 panels travelling the length of the garden on the right side and 5 panels travelling across the back from left to right.

There are various shrubs and plants growing around the garden but not too much to cause an obstruction if I need to

get to a panel.

The garden on slopes up towards the rear slightly. On the right side (facing the rear) the gradual slope causes the

garden to be about 1ft max lower than the neighbours. On the left we are higher at one end of the garden by about 1ft max than the other neighbour.

I want to replace all this with concrete posts 8ft, concrete base panel 1ft and 6x5 closeboard panels.

Ideally I want a 6ft high fence for privacy.

I have had 2 quotes for this. One at £2,000 and one at £2,200 including removal and disposal of old posts and panels.

Can this be done by myself If I put the time and effort in? It seems a lot of the cost is labour.

I have priced up the materials (excluding the concrete mix, hardcore if needed).

Worked out the following:

2 x 8ft end post for left and right
18 x 8ft posts
22 x 1ft concrete base panel
22 x 6x5 closeboard panels

Total cost inc delivery £891

Don't know if I would need extra base panels to compensate for slope.

Is there any best practices or step by step instructions for installing concrete posts and panels? I can't find

anything on the internet apart from standard wooden post installation guides. What tools would I need? What's the best way of removing the old fencing? Could I use the existing post holes or am I better starting off making new ones?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Its worth paying the Labour charges......

Why dont you give it a go at digging out one of the exsisting posts, removing old concrete etc..... then you will see what i mean....

Its hard HARD work..... Unless you decide to replocate the fence posts.

It all comes down to which you have more of, time or money? You can certainly give it a go if you've plenty of the former, lots of info on this forum about fencing, especially recently after the storms.

You will probably need a helping hand for all those concrete posts. and like masterabacus says, you will save loads of work if you relocate the new posts between the old ones.

have a look down the subjects on the forum, ive recently posted lots of info and links on this

hope it helps!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I think we are prepared to do the work rather than spend another £1,000 on labour. Could put it to better use (like a plasma tv) :)

The osteopath charges could be quite steep.

Hello,

Have you thought about leaving the posts insitu and then creating trellis between them. Then you could just grow plants up and through thethe trellis to create a screen.

I've done this several times and it works well. Different ground levels present no problem as you just use more or less lengths to suit. I use roof lathing which is cheap, strong, and comes ready preserved.

Hopes this is helpful.

you can do it.
if cement post are deep you can use a car jack and chain or strap to jack out posts. are you going to attach new posts to surface cement runners it won,t work fence will start leaning .
is your low side under water after heavy rain if so you might want to add drainage tile or pipe while it,s open.
youmight want to rent a jack hammer to break up large concrete sections for easy handling.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back