Hedging in troughs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.
I've had to deck my garden due to our dog killing every blade of grass on the original lawn.
I'd like to grow some kind of hedging in long wooden troughs around the edges.
Is this feasible?
If so, what depth/width would you recommend for the troughs?
Also, what type of hedging would you suggest?
I'd like it to be about 6 feet overall height from the decking, and to trim it to look like a normal hedge - and green all year round.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
John

Sponsored Links
By troughs do you mean free standing or larger ones that are really a raised bed?
If it's the second then you could go for whatever you want. However, a free standing trough will be liable to tip over if the hedge is 6 feet tall.
For the free standings I'd go with something like Box which makes a loverly low hedge although it is quite slow growing.
Have you considered something else such as a trellis of some kind which could be used to support a screen of honeysuckle or clematis or other climber.

Thanks for replying.
The troughs would be raised beds.
I was thinking about 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep?
I know the roots need to grow and spread, but aren't sure how much 'trough' they'd need.
The 6 foot includes the 18 inch trough height, so the hedge would be 4 feet 6 max.
Would really like something that grows overnight!
I want it to be evergreen, though. Not keen on the idea of trellis.
The area I want to mask is a decking ballustrade-type fencing.
Not fussy what grows in it, just so long as I can trim it and it keeps its leaves.
So, any suggestions for a fast growing hedge that thrives in an 18 inch square trough?
Thank you.
john.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, you could try Golcrest lovely lime green colour conifer, makes a nice bright hedge all the year round....

Thank you to you both.
I looked on the sites ladylola suggested and found the Goldcrest that Susiejb suggested. That looks like the hedge for me! Lovely colour, grows fast, lemon smell and suited to coastal gardens, which is where I am.
You two make a great team!
Thanks again.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back