height of a pitched roof how to and where to measure from

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
After various research and under permitted development i have built a garage with storage in a pitched roof it is dug out into a sloping garden so on 2 elevations is 1 m below original ground level. all the written information i have found under building regs on measuring the height of the structure stated that it should be measured from the mean height of the ground level to half way up the pitch which i confirmed with building control. i now have a planning enforcement officer saying that they measure differently and measure to the apex. end result 300mm above permitted development, or under the building control way of measurement 1.5m lower than allowed. as i have a local councilor who lives directly behind my property and who is very antagonistic they are using the planning control and building regulations inspectors to harass me . so i need to know do i need to lower the pitch or are the building control correct and i can leave it

Sponsored Links
Building Control and Planning are two different entities and unfortunately rarely communicate with each other so you should not automatically expect their requirements to tally.

Extracts from the Planning Portal:

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.

For Planning, as I understand it, for the purposes of permitted development regarding garages, where the ground level is uneven, measure the height from the highest part of the surface of the natural level of the ground immediately next to the building. However, what local authority are you with? It may well vary between authorities.

Personally, I would contact the planning department (do not give your name obviously or get someone else to) and ask them how you should measure it as you're thinking of building a garage under permitted development.

Forget the building regulations definition. This is a planning matter and whatever building regs says is irelevant.

Under the old 1995 GDPO the height of a building on uneven ground was measured from the top of the highest part of the ground surrounding the building. There was tested and held in court many times.

As far as I am aware that interpretation was not changed under the 2008 GDPO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back