Height of bathroom floor waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating my bathroom. I am probably going to get the tiling done professionally, but doing everything else myself.

One thing I'm not sure on is the height of the floor waste. I.E. the top of the floor waste should be how high above the fibre cement floor?. I want to get the floor waste in place and waterproofed before I organise a tiler.

I'm planning on having the PVC tubing coming above the level of the floor and waterproofing around it (as opposed to waterproofing down into the floor waste if it was level with the floor). The floor waste I bought seems to fit tightly inside the 50mm PVC pipe.

Thanks for any advice

Cheers, Martin

Sponsored Links
I've read this twice and still haven't a clue what it is you are asking. :cry:

Oh and do the tiling yourself then you'll be able to tile behind the basin and pan rather than bodge it by tiling around them.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the floor waste, and what height it needs to be for the tiler to create fall down to it when he lays down the sand+cement & tiles. I have a metal floor waste that fits into the PVC pipe.

I haven't done a bathroom renovation before, but my understanding is that there are two options for installing and waterproofing your floor waste:

1. If the PVC pipe is flush with the floor, you seal around it and then do your waterproofing down into the pipe, and have a waste sitting above it.

2. The PVC pipe is above the height of the floor. You seal and waterproof around the pipe, and have a floor waste that fits into the pipe. Which is what mine does.

Note that I'm talking about the general overflow floor waste, not the shower.

I just want to figure out how high the waste needs to be so I sort out the height of the PVC tube before I do the waterproofing.

Hope the above all made sense.

maybe you should re post in the plumbing section, after all you will have to do this anyway, the tiling is aesthetics and it wont make much difference, plus with some luck those guys will hopefully know what your on about!

plus if you need someone to come do the tiling im sure the air fair and 3 weeks hol plus the actual work i need to do for the tiling will be better than using an oz tiler! and only slightly more expensive! ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a wet room, which is the norm in Oz. These guys are also suprised to find toilets in the same room as the bath, they think that's weird. If only we had all the space for big houses with seperate rooms for everything...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back