Height of boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. First timer so please treat me gently!! I have just had my heating system serviced by British Gas and the engineer says my external flue is too short (ie less than 1.5m horizontally from the pitch of the roof). He says that my system will need replacing as it's not possible to get an extension for the flue. System is a Baxi Bermuda, approximately 15-20 years old and is working perfectly.

Questions:

1. Is it possible/practical to obtain an extension?
2. Would it be advisable to get a second opinion, as to me, the flue does seem to be more than 1.5m from the pitch of the roof?
3. Can I attach a photo to my next post to demonstrate the problem(?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying. Photo attached. Since posting, I've found extensions are still available on ebay. Would I need to have a CORGI registered engineer to fit it?

Interesting that its taken 15 years for anyone to tell you that its apparently unsafe.

Its the horizontal distance from terminal end to the nearest roof. Boiler maker's instructions would specify the distance.

I don't remember dimensions but about 1.0 m or 1.5 m would seem about right.

However if it does not meet this then it does not mean that it immediately becomes unsafe and you cannot use it. It could be classified as "Not to current standards".

Presumably the BG engineer wanted to make an appointment for a quotation for an replacement boiler for you? They get a small commission if you agree to the quotation visit.

Replacing a back boiler is usually one of the more expensive jobs but as your boiler seems to be against an outside wall perhaps a through the wall flue could be used for a new boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Would I need to have a CORGI registered engineer to fit it?

No, you wouldn't - CORGI ceased to be the official registration body for gas engineers seven years ago. You'd need a Gas Safe Registered engineer, although as Tony has suggested it may be that your BG man is overzealously attempting to earn some commission here, possibly.

Flue looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. Has it always been like that? I'd get a second opinion from a local independent.

Well there appears to be a few problems here.

First of all there doesn't seem to be the correct separation distance from what looks like a balanced flue terminal adjacent. And secondly, as the BG man says, the open flue Bermuda terminal does not seem to be high enough in relation to the roof pitch.

Shambles, from the photos. Hope all these contractors were cheap.

Thanks for all your replies. Can I assume that the "tall" one is what we are discussing, thought the smaller one was for the toilet. Am I correct in thinking that? I'm going to get an independent to check it out. Will post results when I know what's what. Thanks again.

The tall one might be for a toilet extract, from a photo it is difficult to see, the flashing used is similar to a balanced flue boiler. Nevertheless, the separation distances to what is now an air vent, from the flue, do not appear to be 600mm from the picture.

Amusingly the toilet extract vent seems much better installed than the boiler flue!

But perhaps fitted last and by a non gas registered plumber who did not realise that it might be too close to the flue!

Thanks for all your replies. Can I assume that the "tall" one is what we are discussing, thought the smaller one was for the toilet. Am I correct in thinking that? I'm going to get an independent to check it out. Will post results when I know what's what. Thanks again.
The WC vent is a Ubbink roof vent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back