height of cu

Pompeysparks,

Only the OSG refers to "areas that visitors could be expected to use" But as per the other post, who is right 7671 or part m which is only an Approved doc

Sponsored Links
Besides:

'8.1 The aim is to assist those people whose reach is limited to use the dwelling more easily by locating wall-mounted switches and socket outlets at suitable heights.

8.2 Switches and socket outlets for lighting AND OTHER EQUIPMENT should be located so that they are easily reachable.'

Is a CU not just a box of switches for other equipment which is also wall mounted?

I return to my original stance that this could be interpreted to include CU's!

Ban-All-Sheds if you read this then I have to say you know your Building Regs... what do you think?

Sorry, see what you mean now - I would go by Part M over the OSG as it is part of the Building regs and therefore a statutory document, where as BS7671 & the OSG are not!

Sponsored Links
8.2 Switches and socket outlets for lighting AND OTHER EQUIPMENT should be located so that they are easily reachable

That only applies if the dwelling has been designed for the disabled

PompeySparks said:
Sorry, see what you mean now - I would go by Part M over the OSG as it is part of the Building regs and therefore a statutory document, where as BS7671 & the OSG are not!

Don't say sorry, I don't know the answer either. Part M is an approved doc which is for guidance only, Mr 2 jags is good at trying to confuse

Fair play pensdown - I have to admit this exercise has done nowt but confuse me either! I still think 8.2 applies to all newbuilds but I can't find proof either way (Part M is a long document!) so i'm happy to agree to differ... it's been a good debate! As you say mate Mr 2 jags is always trying to confuse (and rob!)

Regards

The CU doesnt need to be as low as the switches, but there are new quide lines on the height.

I remember seeing it in a mag - either the nic or the prof elec.

Assumed it was a BC reg due to come out...

Forget about disabled people

Read the cover of Part M - its about accessibility for all (not just people with disabilities)

we are all getting older and less mobile, in 30 years time we will be thankful that the sparks of today put sockets and switches at heights where we dont have to bend or reach too much for our frail old bodies ;)

131-12-01 Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i) sufficient space for the inititial installation and later replacement of individual items
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, maintenance and repair.

513-01-01 Except for a jont in cables where Section 526 allows such a joint to be inaccessible, every item of equipment shall be arranged so as to facilitate its operation, inspection and maintenance and access to each connection. Such facility shall not be significantly impaired by mounting equipment in an enclosure or a compartment.

BOB NUTS said:
Forget about disabled people

Read the cover of Part M - its about accessibility for all (not just people with disabilities)

we are all getting older and less mobile, in 30 years time we will be thankful that the sparks of today put sockets and switches at heights where we dont have to bend or reach too much for our frail old bodies ;)

I was just thinking, I plan not to drop off the perch before I got old(er) and (more) infirm.

I will check this out with BCO Monday. Still sounds silly to me. To make installation look tidy cu's have been mounted just below ceiling to hide cables. To have it at max 1200mm need a rather large channel in a solid wall to hide cables. I know what your saying about disabled people but where do you draw the line.

:idea: at max 1200mm!!!

yeh the board im asking about is at low level about 500. just chased very wide channel and was gonna throw down 5 20mm pvc conduits from ceiling. hows this sound ? any good?

thanks for all replys so far,
bigbob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back