Height of light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can anyone tell me the height that light switches should be under BS7671. I have looked at the part P info from local council and it doesnt state it, although another document shows they should be a max of 1200 for disabled access. As I am not disabled and there are no disabled people in the house would this apply?

Any help please.

Ron

Sponsored Links
rondeb said:
Hi.

Can anyone tell me the height that light switches should be under BS7671. I have looked at the part P info from local council and it doesnt state it, although another document shows they should be a max of 1200 for disabled access. As I am not disabled and there are no disabled people in the house would this apply?

Any help please.

Ron

all electrical acessories are to be within 450mm and 1200mm. and just because your not disabled, doesnt mean the next person isnt

Hi Andrew,

I guess I will just have to put the light switches at the max height I can...Its just that they would look really low. Thanks for your help though.

Ron

rondeb said:
Hi Andrew,

I guess I will just have to put the light switches at the max height I can...Its just that they would look really low. Thanks for your help though.

Ron

AFAIK, the new rules over heights only apply to new builds/renovations, so providing all your doing is movin a switch or summit, you may be exempt. i think...

Sponsored Links
I guess we will come under renovation as the property is being rewired and will be inspected under the PArt P, by local council and electrician.

cheers

Ron

so does that mean the height of the light switches can be more than 1200mm?

Ron

We are most of the way through a major rennovation, and I am putting everything within the recommended range - and although it looks funny to start with, we have got used to it, and now prefer it. I find myself reaching too low for the few still-existing low switches now - and what I wouldn't want long-term is a mixture of both.

Neal

the thing that worries me about having sockets high up is that they mean if a flex gets pulled tight its just ready to knock off anything thats at that height.

andrew2022 said:
all electrical acessories are to be within 450mm and 1200mm. and just because your not disabled, doesnt mean the next person isnt
So, what if you sell to someone who is 7'3" tall ? He has to kneel to switch on a light. Thats not discrimination ??????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back