light switch height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not quite sure how high to put in a new light switch. I read a regulation:

http://niceic.com/en/account/media/17thpg7.pdf

that shows it shouldn't be higher than 1200mm. But won't it be weird if only one switch is that height, and the rest are at a different height?

Do the regulations apply when I'm moving a switch? I can't even think of any houses i've been in that have them that low in the UK? How long has the regulations had them placed this low?

Sponsored Links
Designed for wheel chair users and yes I do fit at that height but in real terms it just does not make sense minimum height for items like thermostat where sight is required is 1200 mm but that's far too high for my mother in wheel chair so use common sense.

Yup, I understand that it's designer for users with restricted height access.

I kind of like it at that height anyway, but I'm just curious about having various switches in a property at different heights. I can't replace them all .... so should i install this one at 1200 or should i put it in at the same height as the rest of the property?

As it's not a new dwelling, and you haven't said you have any invalids living there, you are able to do the switch at the same height as the others.

Sponsored Links
Unless it is a new build or total refurb, DDA heights do not apply. You just can not make things any worse than they already are.

Just match up with the existing heights.

Having said that I really prefer the DDA heights to the old 12" / 52" standard.

Even a total refurb would not mean that you needed to comply to the recommended switch/sockets heights of new dwellings. As you only need to stay as was or improve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back