heights of switches and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to building regulation M the heights are between 450mm and 1200mm, surely this cannot be right? having just held the tape messaure agints the wall, 450mm dosen't seem low enough and 1200mm dosen't seem high enough, can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
its correct is because when you get old and in a wheel chair you can still unplug your plugs out of your sockets and turn off your lights :LOL:

the thing that irks me is that they still have to retrieve the plug from the floor to plug it in in the first place.. if they can reach that then they can reach a socket just above the skirting..

What I can't work out why in public building can you go to 400mm as lowest point but domestic is 450mm and if something like a thermostat which needs to be read is between 1200 and 1400mm in public building why below 1200 in domestic.
I have a mother in a wheel chair and I was told off for putting the thermostat too low? I put it at her eye height.
Also in a public building we have to avoid corners but not in private my mother uses the same wheel chair to go out as she uses at home so why different rules? I think someone has made a M of it!

Sponsored Links
Seagullsy. if you go to the USA then most of them are like that...

These heights only apply to new build, not to additions etc...
Part M has a lot of other things in it too (door widths,etc).

I like the part M heights.

Once you get used to them they are much better.

Part M socket heights, much better, and poeople often go for them when I give them the choice when wiring an extension.

Switch heights, well, I like to be able to reach around a corner and alwas find the switch where I expect it! Thermostats I find work at their best higher than 1100 off the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back