Switch height query (1200mm or 1350mm)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have some building work ongoing at the moment making our existing lounge open plan by adding an extra 4 x 4 mtres extension.

Our electrics were done yesterday and plastering due tomorrow.
We questioned our electrician as to the height of a dimmer switch that we have asked him to install as he has positioned the top of the box at 1200mm which looks very very low. He said that this is due to "building regs". The switch is in the existing lounge and simply replaces the old switch.

No other light switches have needed to be installed as part of this project and all other light switches in the house are at 1350mm.

Can anyone confirm please that this 1200mm height is not applicable due to the nature of our project ?

Many thanks in advance of any replies.

Sponsored Links
The regulations regarding socket and switch heights apply to new dwellings only not existing.
Your switch heights need not have been altered.

Unfortunately you've got yourself an ignorant electrician.

Also unfortunately you're now going to have to argue with him, and if he sticks to his guns and refuses to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations unless you let him put the switch where he incorrectly believes he has to then you'll be stuck, because you need it moved PDQ.

Are you having proper walls, or those things made out of wood and plasterboard?

How easy would it be for you to move the back box upwards yourself before the plasterer comes?

Assuming your electrician can read...

Download the Approved Document part M by clicking here.
On page 13 there is a copy of the relevant building regulation. In black & white (erm - well, green) it says "The requirements of this part do not apply to an extension or material alteration of a dwelling."

If you print this page out and thrust it in his hand, I can't believe he would continue to dispute the issue.

Sponsored Links
He said that this is due to "building regs". The switch is in the existing lounge and simply replaces the old switch.

Your electrician is right but did not complete his sentence - He should have said "it is due to the building regs and my poor comprehension of them"

Hmm it seems electricians all over the country have no idea of the actual requirements of the building regs. Scary?

My friend has just moved into a newly refurbished property somewhere near Newcastle with accessories at the new heights and unusually wide doors (another disabled access requirement?)

The funny thing is it's a first floor flat...

Colin C

Hmm it seems electricians all over the country have no idea of the actual requirements of the building regs. Scary?

My friend has just moved into a newly refurbished property somewhere near Newcastle with accessories at the new heights and unusually wide doors (another disabled access requirement?)

The funny thing is it's a first floor flat...

Colin C

The owner of the newly refurbished property may have asked for these socket and switch heights and door widths.
Many people I have done rewires for are now asking for switches and sockets to be placed within the 450 -1200mm zone.

Many people I have done rewires for are now asking for switches and sockets to be placed within the 450 -1200mm zone.
I have just done a job and the bloke didn't want any switches.
His concerns were over the electric being used by his missus!

If you print this page out and thrust it in his hand, I can't believe he would continue to dispute the issue.
You'd be amazed how tenaciously people will cling to ideas that are flaty contradicted by the words in front of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back