heights of light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the 17th edition quotes BS7671 "switches & socket-outlets in new dwellings must be installed so that all persons including those whose reach is limited can easily use them" and goes on to suggest that "a way of satisfying this requirement is to install switches, sockets etc between 450 and 1200 from finished floor level"

our local building control apparently are insistng on 1100 as the upper limit. which basically means light switches at waist height.

Could the LABC be challenged on this one? or is the LABC's word final?

just an academic/pedantic point really, I daresay we will get used to light switches at waist height....
my concerns are mainly aesthetic, but somewhat practical too: waist height on a wall is where most dings and thumps seem to happen in houses (possibly furniture moving?) and light switches are not at all tough.

Sponsored Links
It is NOT a requirement of BS7671.

It is a requirement of part M of the building regulations.

Have a look in there or one of the guides to compliance. It is also comprehensively covered in section 10.7 of the electricians guide to the building regulations, where it does state 1200mm AFFL to the top of accesories.

Show them these documents and see what they say.

If it is a new building then the heights specified in Part M will apply.

That is not the case in refurbs or extensions to existing premises.

Since Scotland likely different regulations you don't have Part P so may not have Part M either?

The Part M is not as fixed as it first seems. Mounting sockets at 100mm so the bed would not hit them as its pulled out and pushed back was allowed by my local building inspector.

My mother in a wheel chair demanded that the thermostat was not placed at 1200mm as required as she could not see it. Again allowed.

But to put at 1400mm because you just like the look of it is not allowed you have to show why you want to not follow the Part M heights. One is permitted to use floor mounted sockets in open plan offices you don't need to have posts sticking out of the floor.

My daughter has challenged LABC and won. Her word overrode what the LABC said. Working for RCAHMW her word was final. Clearly not on a new build. However as to if anyone else can override what they say not sure.

Sponsored Links
Scottish building standards (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards/techbooks/techhandbooks)

No part 'P', 'M' etc but similar provision in link above. 'Electricians guide to building regs' = electricians guide to English building regs

This is the text pertaining to location of accessories in Scottish regs:

"Outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350 mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2 m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers.

Within this height range:
• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900 mm and
1.1 m above floor level.
• standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other
services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400
mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures
should be at least 150 mm above the projecting surface.
Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen , separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to
allow appliances to be isolated."

Note 'Should', (not 'must') I imagine a decent architect or electrical engineer could think up a good reason, to give BC, why they're outside recommended height on your building.

Part M only covers new dwellings and habitable rooms only, so living rooms and bedrooms will be covered by this requirement.
In Part M, "Provisions" state a way of satisfying this regulation would be by installing switches/sockets at height between 450mm and 1200mm from FFL. So are they suggesting there are other ways of satisfying this regulation?

Prentice Boy brings up the problem of being either specific or vague in legislation. One can see that the heights mentioned help people in wheelchairs or having difficulty in bending, but it does not, and cannot, address the situation for people who have difficulty operating switches. If it demanded switches at a certain height, then any advancement in technology or use of switches/sockets which do not need hand operation and may need to be at a higher level would not be allowed.
The vagueness built into many pieces of legislation to avoid such problems has made a fortune for the legal profession and created mountains of case law. Here I think that the writer of the line about 'other ways' was indeed thinking of remotely operated switches which would be best placed above furniture height and PIR (type) systems where the switch would be placed high enough to prevent operation by children. Quite right too.

The vagueness built into many pieces of legislation to avoid such problems has made a fortune for the legal profession and created mountains of case law. Here I think that the writer of the line about 'other ways' was indeed thinking of remotely operated switches which would be best placed above furniture height and PIR (type) systems where the switch would be placed high enough to prevent operation by children. Quite right too.

That would imply that some thought went into the document before publication. I doubt that happened.

That would imply that some thought went into the document before publication. I doubt that happened.[/quote]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I dare say that if you were building your own home and were rich enough you could persuade Building Control to allow you to have switches and sockets wherever you wanted.

my concerns are mainly aesthetic, but somewhat practical too: waist height on a wall is where most dings and thumps seem to happen in houses (possibly furniture moving?) and light switches are not at all tough.
Ah - but look on the plus side - 3-4 year old children can reach them with ease, so that they can turn them on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off....

Scottish building standards (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards/techbooks/techhandbooks)

No part 'P', 'M' etc but similar provision in link above. 'Electricians guide to building regs' = electricians guide to English building regs

This is the text pertaining to location of accessories in Scottish regs:

"Outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350 mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2 m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers.

Within this height range:
• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900 mm and
1.1 m above floor level.
• standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other
services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400
mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures
should be at least 150 mm above the projecting surface.
Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen , separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to
allow appliances to be isolated."

Note 'Should', (not 'must') I imagine a decent architect or electrical engineer could think up a good reason, to give BC, why they're outside recommended height on your building.

Interesting how Scottish is slightly different. The corner and 400 mm limit are only for non domestic in rest of UK. Never quite worked out why 450 mm for domestic and 400 mm for the rest?

The position of a thermostat is the daft one needs to be both under 1200 mm as manually operated and between 1200 and 1400 as needs to be visual read. Most put it on the 1200 centre line but technically would need to separate the display and control to comply.

Which just shows how daft it all is.

The position of a thermostat is the daft one needs to be both under 1200 mm as manually operated and between 1200 and 1400 as needs to be visual read. Most put it on the 1200 centre line but technically would need to separate the display and control to comply.

Which just shows how daft it all is.

Particularly as many thermostat makers state a fitting height of 1500mm :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back