Socket/light switch height? + new and old house questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a new extension and i just wanted to clear up some questions I have:-
1. In the new extension I believe under the new rules the light switches and sockets need to be between a certain height can someone confirm this and if so what is it?
2. I'm moving some of the light switches and sockets in the old part of the house so do these need to come under the new rules and need to be at a certain height?

Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
Part M of the building regulations requires accesories to be sited between 450mm to 1200mm above finished floor level, but this applies to new build and fully refurbished properties only.

AFAIK as long as you do not make accesories any less accessible to disabled people than they currently are, then you will be ok.

As the BCO will no doubt be involved with this project, you would do well to just run this past him, as they have been known to sometimes (wrongly) insist on the accesories being sited at the new positions, and their word is final.

IMO, the new heights are a good idea, and once you get used to them you will begin to see the benifits.

RF thanks for that I'll have a chat with the Building control and see what they say

Sponsored Links
their word is final.
Can their word be final if they are attempting to force you to do things that you are not legally obliged to do?

This is not an example of a difference of interpretation, or opinion on what complies, as it might be if Part M did apply but you didn't want to install things at the heights suggested in Approved Document M. It's a simple fact - Part M does not apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back