Light Switch Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a regulation on the height light switch's have to be, what's the minimum and maximum allowed, as looking at the rest of the lights, I need one adding and to match the height, theres a stud in the way of it..

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting a 25mm box, that equals about 15mm to be taken off the stud - can't see that being a problem.

I've done similar but with a horizontal stud, just used a multitool to cut into it, then shaved the wood back with a sharp chisel

Sponsored Links
Yeh course for new builds, I have a old house so I just tend to match whatever height they are. Some are 1400mm, doesn't cause a problem for me.

Hi is that to the centre or top? Just interested.

Thanks,

Knowall.

Is there a regulation on the height light switch's have to be, what's the minimum and maximum allowed...
Everyone seems to have been talking about the maximum. Approved Document M (which is, AFAIAA, the only source of any numbers and which, as has been said, essentially applies only to new builds) does not distinguish between sockets and switches, and specifies a minimum of 450 mm and a maximum of 1200 mm from finished floor level. Although the text isn't explicit about this, the diagram provided shows switches and sockets wholly contained within that 450 - 1200 mm range, suggesting that the bottom of a switch should be above 450 mm and the top of the switch below 1200 mm.

I have to say that I would have thought that anyone who wasn't in a wheelchair would find light switches anything like as low as 450 mm to be extremely inconvenient. Indeed, as my back gradually shows the signs of the progression of the decades, I think I would personally find it potentially quite difficult/painful. In fact, I'm not at all convinced that 450 mm would be very good for those in wheelchairs, either - I suspect that something approaching 1000 mm would probably be best for them.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks so 1200mm max to top of light switch for new builds.. Much appreciated :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back