Standard plug and light switch heights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just built an extension on a bungalow and will be rewiring the whole lot. Before I get started, are there any minimum/maximum height dimensions under the latest regulations for light switches and plug sockets?

TIA

Jever

Sponsored Links
All of the old wiring and partitions were removed, so there's nothing to match to.

Are there no maximums or minimums that need to be observed?

Not if it isn't a new build. Do what you are comfortable with. You may like the new heights (don't have the numbers to hand - someone else will) so use them if you wish but there's no obligation.

Sponsored Links
You could fit the new ones at a height suitable for a wheel chair user?
Light switches tend to be to high imho. And sockets are far to low considering that most items plunged in end up on a table

I much prefer the new dda heights now I’ve got used to them.

450mm to the bottom of sockets
1200mm to the top of light switches

Unfortunately, there's no "one size fits all" solution. A socket at a convenient height for a wheelchair user can easily be too low to be easily used by someone who doesn't use a wheelchair but who has a problem with bending (as the creaking of advancing age increases, I fear I'm heading that way :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately, there's no "one size fits all" solution.
True.

A socket at a convenient height for a wheelchair user can easily be too low to be easily used by someone who doesn't use a wheelchair but who has a problem with bending (as the creaking of advancing age increases,
I don't follow. Surely the 'new recommendations' for socket heights are higher than they traditionally were.

Too low also being a problem for wheelchair users.

True. I don't follow. Surely the 'new recommendations' for socket heights are higher than they traditionally were.
I was not talking about 'recommendations', new or old. If you look, you'll see that I was commenting in response to..
... and a socket which is at the ideal height for a wheelchair user is quite likely to be too low for someone not using a wheelchair who cannot bend down (easily or at all) - hence, as we appear to agree, "one size does not fit all".

Yes, that situation would probably have been even worse (for a non-wheelchair user) with 'traditional' socket heights, but I was not commenting on that.

If one is creating 'recommendations' which (presumably) attempt to achieve "one size fits as many as possible" (which is surely the best one can hope for?), then which do you think is more common - people who use wheelchairs or people who have problems bending?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back