Height of sockets in domestic buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a 1940s build 3 bedroom semi, the electrics are fine and have been tested but as in alot of buildings the 13 amp sockets are just above the skirt boards, I just wonder what the genaral guidance in about adding sockets and there height from the floor? Help please

Sponsored Links
As long as you can put the plug in without it or the cable being damaged or causing a hazard, it's up to you.

Minimum and maximum heights now for new builds.

but as in alot of buildings the 13 amp sockets are just above the skirt boards, I just wonder what the genaral guidance in about adding sockets and there height from the floor?
For new builds or if do any work in Stoke for rewires the minimum height is 450mm from finished floor level with the maximum height of 1200mm ffl.

If you cannot get plugs in without causing damage you could, as a temporary measure, turn the sockets upside down.

if do any work in Stoke for rewires the minimum height is 450mm from finished floor level with the maximum height of 1200mm ffl.
Who tries to enforce that made-up rule, what lies do they tell to support their position, and what happens if they are threatened with legal action if they refuse to accept work which does not meet those specs given that they have no legitimate grounds for doing so?

Sponsored Links
but as in alot of buildings the 13 amp sockets are just above the skirt boards, I just wonder what the genaral guidance in about adding sockets and there height from the floor?
For new builds or if do any work in Stoke for rewires the minimum height is 450mm from finished floor level with the maximum height of 1200mm ffl.

If you cannot get plugs in without causing damage you could, as a temporary measure, turn the sockets upside down.

We have a socket actually on the skirting board and it is not possible to insert a plug without putting strain on the cable. Our 'temporary' method (we've been using for several years) is to keep a two-way plug adapter in the socket and use the top openings.

Much easier than moving the socket!

Ha, ha!

I used to work in Staffs a lot and I came across this only once.

I laughed at the guy so hard, he scratched his head and walked off. 5 minutes later, he was back, asking me to talk to his superior. I told him that I was only prepared to discuss it face to face with his manager on site.

I never heard from him again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back