Help – Have I Got Wet Rot? Pictures Included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I had a look in the loft today and noticed what appears to be wet rot along the horizontal roof beams – see pictures.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/249136904

Can anyone confirm that the fungus is wet rot? If so, what’s the treatment to cure it? I am concerned why the fungus has started growing. Around June this year we had our loft boarded out and a new hatch installed – perhaps this is related to the fungus growth??? Can anyone suggest a possible cure/prevention?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
photo

That's not wet rot, it's wood that has become damp and light amounts of mould has started.

The area needs to be made water free and once the wood has dried out it will need a wire brushing to remove the mould spores, which should die when the wood dries out.

When I had the loft conversion my mate wanted all the old 4 x 2's- they were piled up outside in the summer rain for 6 weeks before he collected them and they were in exactly the same state.

5 years later they are still providing good service holding up a roof structure for a farm barn in Wales !

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chri5.

I managed to have a good root around in the lft today and it would appear I have condensation - probably as a result of poor ventilation since the loft was boarded and re-insulated. My task for next week is to imporve the ventialtion (vents, etc) and let the wood dry out. I may have to put my dehumidifer to use in the loft!

Thanks for the reply.

Make sure there's airflow at the sofits, some installers get very carried away with the insulation.

Wood needs to breath and the loft needs some air recycling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back