Garage door problem - is this wet rot, and how do I resolve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps

I have two garage doors next to each other in a double garage - one is fine, the other has what looks like wet rot seeping through it, to the extent that it has now created a small hole where it has got through to the other side. Inside, the wood feels 'wet' and there is a damp mark (or what looks like a damp mark) spreading around it, and the wood feels all spongy and soft to the touch in this area.

It also has what looks like mushroom texture (not the shape, but is a white or light brownish growth that covers the hole - this has to be peeled off and within a few weeks it is back. Pictures will be below of the damage (which occurred on the outside and working inwards).

This is the inside of the door, where you can see the area that it has split, and the 'water' mark around it.

P2091308.jpg

This is the external view, with the hole visible although this is mostly covered up by the white fungus that grows over it and along the edge of the line where the woods meet.

P2091313.jpg

This is some of the white/brown stuff that grows over the hole...

P2091314.jpg

Doors are Cardale Timber Heritage Windsor, only built in July 02, and were brand new then (it was a new house), and it seems like I'm screwed on any warranty. Cardale say they do not know and do not care (if you did not ever seal it with the right stuff, then we don't care, they say) and the NHBC say this is not covered in years 3-10, so there is little I can do. So the thing is - what best to fill the hole and more importantly, get rid of the wet rot or even seal it to allow it to dry out, so that I can stop the spread?

The damage is at the bottom so it is not as if you can easily see it, so a simple remedy would probably work - I will then seal both doors properly.

Any help or ideas or anyone been there?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
it would be useful if you included an object such as a 50p piece in the picture so we can see scale.

the inside looks like ply and the outside looks like it might be boards. what is it made of?

can you see how the water is getting in? e.g. a joint or a knot hole.

what is the timber treated with?

Thanks John

The hole is about the size of a 20p coin.

The inside is, according to Cardale website, external grade play, with solid cedar face mouldings. This is a link to the exact door (and the points where the rot is coming in is the join(s), since there is more than one place this mould is growing, is where the vertical slats meet the rest of the wood.

http://www.cardale.com/range/doors/door.asp?type=safelift&range=Heritage&id=16

The water seems to be getting in through the joint - as I say, it's on more than one vertical slat, although these images show the very worse.

As for being treated, it comes from the factory (in 2002) with a basecoat stain - but the end user is supposed to treat it then and I have no idea whether this happened or not.

Thus, my thought it to use some Ronseal wet rot, then some wood filler and then reseal the door completely in whatever Cardale recommend...

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

The hole is about the size of a 20p coin.

The inside is, according to Cardale website, external grade play, with solid cedar face mouldings. This is a link to the exact door (and the points where the rot is coming in is the join(s), since there is more than one place this mould is growing, is where the vertical slats meet the rest of the wood.

http://www.cardale.com/range/doors/door.asp?type=safelift&range=Heritage&id=16

The water seems to be getting in through the joint - as I say, it's on more than one vertical slat, although these images show the very worse.

As for being treated, it comes from the factory (in 2002) with a basecoat stain - but the end user is supposed to treat it then and I have no idea whether this happened or not.

Thus, my thought it to use some Ronseal wet rot, then some wood filler and then reseal the door completely in whatever Cardale recommend...

Andy

I would use the ronseal wet rot treatment. Dry it indoors in a flat place for a week or so...then fill the hole and retreat it several times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back