Kitchen Unit Door Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door which covers the built in washing machine will not stay in place. This is because the holes where the screws attach the door to the W/M have enlarged due to over tightening. I can't get a replacement door.

What can I use to fill the damaged screw holes, so I can make new ones? I've tried wood filler but it's not strong enough.

Sponsored Links
You can get repair plates. Or make your own from a bit of 2mm steel and use self tapping screws into pilot holes.

Sponsored Links
You can get repair plates. Or make your own from a bit of 2mm steel and use self tapping screws into pilot holes.
Hows a repair plate going to allow hinges to re-fix?

HP100%20Hinge%20Repair%20Plate%20in%20situ.jpg

My understanding of the problem was that that the door fixing is damaged not the carcass?

My understanding of the problem was that that the door fixing is damaged not the carcass?
Correct. In any case the door is not attached to the carcase but to the front of the built-in washing machine.

The problem has arisen because the door only opens slightly more than 90° and it is easy to knock into the door when it is open, which puts a strain on the screws holding the door to the hinges. Continual tightening of the screws has caused the holes to lose any "thread" they had; and the surrounding chipboard has started to tear.

Monkeh said:
In that case, change the fixings for expansion types.
What are they?

I have thought of drilling right through the door and using nuts and bolts instead of wood screws, but that would look unsightly.

if the holes in the door are now too large do the old style trick pva glue in a match stick or a larger splinter of wood if required wait till its dried dress of flush and its done. cheap easy painless

Bung the oversize holes up with tooth picks (hammer the last 1 or 2 in so they are good & tight) then start dripping some THIN superglue in the gaps, use THIN (available from moddeling shops, eBay etc) and keep dripping it in until it forms a pool, that way the superglue will also seep into the surrounding chipboard and toughen that right up at the same time.

Used it many times with great results (toilet seats are another example), the more often I do it the less often I also stick my fingers to the item being repaired -)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back