Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a kitchen door hinge
The existing holes are too big
See pic below
0fbewGn.jpg

What should I do? Add wood filler

After that: I'm not sure what size screw I need
I have some standard size screws for kitchen door hinges - these are too big and don't fit the hole on the plate

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buying the right size hinge that fits the hole would be the best option.

Buy new hinges to suit.
Metal plates with hinges are available.
or, if you have a set of hole saws, maybe make a wooden ring to pack it out using loads of glue.
use hardwood if you can.

the right hinges is easier

New hinge cost = £7 - £10 - just a guess
I had a genius idea! Make the metal holes bigger :)
Just need to check if the screws I have fit

Hole saw: I'd end up drilling all the way through. LOL
But maybe a can get a dowel and pack in?
But then I still need to know what size screw I need?

Whatever: using a wooden filler is NOT an option?
Why?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Glue wood dowels in the holes then flush cut off, then pilot drill. The door is drilled for 5 or 6mm Euro screws, so standard size dowels are available. Your hinges are punched out for 3or 3.5mm Hospa screws

2. Get a couple of repair plates off Amazon, like these. The plates you need are the ones with the 35mm holes on the left. I believe even Screwfix sell these

Ideally don't try drilling out a stamped metal hinge - the countersunk cup may just end up wrecked. Also, it's non too safe drilling thin metal like that unless you have a drill press and some way to secure the hinge other than your hand or a G-clamp

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
With the hole saw idea, I meant
drill a hole the size of the hole in wood thick enough to just fill the door hole.
then drill a hole in the resultant circle to fit the hinge.

you’re making a wooden plug to fill the hole

• Thanks
The door is missing the nylon inserts to hold screws, you have several options but a wood dowel glued in is probably best If you don’t want to buy inserts.
An example

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
@foxhole amazing! I've got those plastic bits in my tool box. I think they're all from Ikea, so not sure about fit. I'll give them a go.
Else, I'll try the dowel method suggested

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back