help 3 wires 2 wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wall lights - please help i have a red/black/and earth wire in wall which turned on 2 wall lights previously,but they flickered sometimes hence further investigate- i now need to wire up 2 wall lights which need earthing (previous lights were pot,so no earth) so i have a 3 way block with 3 wires going into it how do i wire up 2 wall lights from that block,cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean at one of the wall light positions you have three cables (containing 6 or 9 wires) and you need to know which wire goes to which terminal of the wall light fitting? Or am I way off?

Does the wiring in the wall have earth wires (they may be cut off)?

Or even better some pictures, and a simple wiring diagram of the existing wiring set up. :LOL: .
Are you changing existing fittings because they were faulty, and so causing the 'flickering' ? Its just that changing the fittings will not be the answer if there is a fault/problem with the circuit. ?

Ed

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies i have just 1 cable containing 3 wires comming from cieling 1 red 1 black and 1 earth, i need to wire 2 wall lights to that cable .

With respect, if you can't even recognise live, neutral and earth then you should not be attempting this work.

Installing electrical equipment on the basis of following instructions along the lines of "insert this red wire into that terminal" without having a clue as to why is an extraordinarily bad idea.

I cannot urge you too strongly to take some time out and learn how electricity and circuits etc work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back