Help a newbie, what should I do with this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just to give some background, we live in a house which is built in to a hill, the back room is our white goods room which leads from our kitchen to the outside, the far wall is built up against the earth with a tiled roof, the back wall is the subject of my query.

The far wall of the back room had a bad water problem over a number of years due to a few slipped tiles which knackered the render. I have fixed the tiles so there is no further water issues, and have removed the damaged render, re-pointed where needed and repaired the render, so now I am left with a properly rendered wall. I am planning to batten and plasterboard the wall, then have a plasterer skim it ready for painting.

I have been advised (by a friend of friend of a diyer) to tank the render, then place a PVC cover over it under the batten, then place polystyrene batts between the battens to ensure no damp comes through.
This sounds excessive to me, is it necessary?

If you were going to plasterboard a rendered wall with earth behind it what would you do?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a moisture/damp issue with the wall?
If not there is no harm in additional protection but not really required.
With regards to insulating the wall, I would have thought the earth on reverse of wall would be an excellent insulator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back