Rendering timber framed panel / wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I am looking to renovate an old porch which is a mixture of wooden panels and single glazed glass. I want to improve this by rebuilding the panel / wall (approx 800mm wide and 2100mm high) and adding some insulation, and then rendering the external side.
The challenge is that because the porch is in a recess and has a door opening into the garage I’m limited in the depth of the new wall / panel to approx 260mm.

I’ve done some rough calculations and come up with the following layers and depths, working from the inside to outside. Please can some sanity check that this looks about right please?

Plasterboard - 12.5mm

Vapour barrier - 0.5mm

Framing (with 100mm solid insulation between studs) - 120mm

OSB - 9mm

Breather membrane - 0.5mm

Battens - 25mm

Render carrier board - 12mm

Render base coat - 10mm

Silicone render finish coat - 2mm

Which comes to 192mm by my reckoning.

Also, I’m not going to try the rendering myself. Do you think a professional would be ok to render onto the render carrier board if I built it to that point, or would they prefer it to do more of the prep (e.g battens and board) themselves?

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back