render system for SIPs house

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hello morley self build.
We have just built a SIPs house and have used cement board on the outside. You can then choose your render finish. ours is a German render which is then painted. there are all sorts of finishes on the net.
i assume like ours you have a 'Tyvek' covering over the SIP panels. The guys put batons on to fix the cement board to, this was then rendered using a mesh/net.
Round the windows and on the corners are plastic strips. Looks a bit like the stuff that one puts on for tiling.
We are not professionals and I know someone will berate me now. Just food for thought. We find that any suggestions are useful.
regards...Selfbuilder Scotland. :) PS hope you like the SIPS we think it is wonderful.

Morley, the problem is that the OSB of the SIPS panel will have a moisture content in the region of 22% - even when delivered from the factory. Once rendered this will dry out - shrink & crack. You would need to fit timber battens to the SIPS panel - fit an inert carrier board - E board or similiar and render from there. Be sure to leave a 2 - 3mm gap in the boards then scrim & fill them in accordance with their recommendations. Better to stick to an Acrylic type topcoat finish - more flexible - try Structherm for the Renders - think they're not too far from you.

Render directly onto OSB board - maybe not a great idea in UK - weather bit different from America

Brian

unless there is a uk building reg which states otherwise, you can render directly onto SIP or ICF, normally with fibreglass mesh.

NHBC Guidance looks for minimum 15mm drained cavity in case render fails and water starts to rot timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back