Help advice needed - trying to sell and no regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, i'm an idiot but a few years ago (2008) I did some work to my house and didn't get building regs. The work involved some electrics and fitting a new bathroom into what was a bedroom as well as fitting a couple of replacement windows UPVC for UPVC and installing a new patio door and roof window from B&Q.

I knew that i'd made a mistake not gettig the electrics all checked and am having someone come to check them tomorrow and quote on any remedial work needed. Fingers crossed.

I genuinely didn't know about the requirements for the roof window, patio door or replacement windows. I bought them all from a company call Dunster and fitted the lintels myself above the patio. They should meet building regs but I didn't get it done at the time.

I'm not sure what to do about these windows and the patio door. Do I contact the local council (Caerphilly) and ask for someone to check them or will I get hit with a fine? Can I get a builder to come out, check and give any necessary certificates or can a builder not give me what the solicitor requires.

Also, do I need anything for the bathroom other than the electics.

Sorry a lot of questions but I'm now bricking it with regards to the sale falling through. I just need to get it sorted asap and want everything done right this time. If there is anyone in the Caerphilly area who can help i'd appreciate a PM. Next time i'll go straight to the professionals. I should add that this is the first time i've sold a house so am new to this.

Sponsored Links
Is this works that has been picked up by the surveyor or someone or are you just brickin it because you fear it will discovered?

Forget talking to a builder.

Anyhoo via your solicitor you can see if the buyers would accept an indemnity insurance, they don't cost much (about £100 or thereabouts).

If the buyer will not accept such solution, then regularisation is your only other option. This involves contacting your local Building Control who will give you a price dependent on the value of the works they are regularising. They will not fine you, they may want to see evidence of any lintels fitted (ie plaster removed to check sizes/bearings etc) and evidence of any other works carried out. Anything that does not comply will have to be put right before you get your certificate.

http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/site.aspx?s=ZV7EBHUPqzopC0EXLZulTQ==

thanks for the quick reply.

The solicitor of the buyer has given us a form to complete which asks for a list of any electrical work, replacement windows etc etc and if we had building regs or certs given where necessary. I could just lie and say no but I really don't want to do this - i'd always rather be honest.

I think i'll phone the council and make enquiries tomorrow but any other advice gratefully recieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back