Help an Aussie with heating - Vaillant Ecoplus 418

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a newish (< 6 months) Vaillant Ecoplus 418 open vent boiler which didn't come on this evening. There were no error codes. It only started working when we cranked up the old thermostat to maximum 35C.
We had the thermostat set at around 22C, so my question is do we need to replace the old Potterton thermostat which is many years older than the new boiler? Any suggestions on where to get this and do I need a registered heating engineer to install it?
Please help an Aussie who is way out of his depth with anything heating related!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Welcome to a very cold England. :)

My advice would be to get a heating engineer or decent electrician to test the thermostat. Soon be able to tell if its switching correctly by testing it. New 'stats widely available, www.screwfix.com is one supplier with a good range, B&Q, Wickes etc will also stock them.

Thanks Hugh, i ducked next to ask the neighbours if they knew a decent tradie in the area and they've put me onto a decent chap.
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Its only a small job but still I have to get there. What I do when I am there is less important.

I usually charge our usual diagnostic fee and service the boiler and fit the thermostat which ideally the custoimer has chosen with my agreement so that they cannot object to the appearance if I were to choose it!

Remember you are only guessing the stat is at fault. It probably is but easy to test contact resistance though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back