Help and Advice - Dulux Diamond Eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm using dulux trade diamond eggshell for my kitchen ceiling.
I have thinned it down slightly about 10%.

The trouble is its looking very patchy is some areas this is after 2 coats it looks ok in some lights but in others it crap.

Does anyone have any advice on applying this coating.

Thanks is advance.

Sponsored Links
I have thinned it down slightly about 10%.

The trouble is its looking very patchy is some areas this is after 2 coats it looks ok in some lights but in others it crap.

Does anyone have any advice on applying this coating.

Yes.

STOP watering your paint down.

The back of the can states that the product can be thinned by up to 10% when used in warm conditions.

Its warm where i'm doing the work. also it trade paint which def need thinning before application otherwise its to sticky to work with.

The back of the can states that the product can be thinned by up to 10% when used in warm conditions.

Its warm where i'm doing the work. also it trade paint which def need thinning before application otherwise its to sticky to work with.

This is the back of the can:
Thinning - Thinning is not usually necessary but if required add up to 1 part of clean water to 10 parts of paint.

Here's what's happening... You've painted your ceiling, you've failed to cover it in 2 coats, you've added water to the paint thereby thinning it down and now fail to acknowledge the fact that if you thin paint.............
it makes it thinner thus, doesn't cover as well as if it was neat.

Amazes me when people thin paint down and then complain that it hasn't covered. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't agree there growler lol. I never had a prob with thinning this stuff, and agrree with op it's almost unworkable without thinning.

Whats the ceiling like? smooth? textured? is it the texture thats uneven? If so no ammount of paint will make it look right.

It sounds like the problem is related to the paint drying too quickly.

Either work faster or use an additive like floetrol.

http://www.owatrol.uk.com/

It is propylene glycol based and slows the rate at which the paint dries, giving you a longer wet working window

Personally I'd go for the second option and not use any water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back