Help and advice needed - leveling uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

I purchased my first property last summer and have slowly been making improvements along the way. I put down some floating laminate flooring about six months ago and have now come to realise that the floor in which it sits is not level in some places - mainly the corners.

I plan to carefully take up the floor, piece by piece, and then do all I can to get the floor more level.

A friend has suggested self leveling compound as the perfect approach to this issue. I'd like some input on whether this is indeed the best way forward or whether I have other options.

I do want to avoid having to get someone in to do the work and so I'd appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,

Darren

Sponsored Links
what material is under the laminate

If's its concrete then self levelling compound will probably your easiest and quickest way around this, plus a bag of self leveling isn't alot these days

If you've got floorboards / wooden joists then you may be on your knees for a while!

It's concrete topped with a bitumen adhesive which did have vinyl floor tiles. These were removed by a licensed contractor during an asbestos removal procedure.

I used some underlay (just the very thin stuff) and the laminate floor went in on top.

Sponsored Links
It's concrete topped with a bitumen adhesive which did have vinyl floor tiles. These were removed by a licensed contractor during an asbestos removal procedure.

I used some underlay (just the very thin stuff) and the laminate floor went in on top.

You will need a screed that is suitable to be used in conjunction with the bitumen, or at least a primer suitable to be used with the screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back