Levelling uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a top floor flat and put laminate flooring down in the kitchen last year. The problem is the floor is really uneven, it runs off by about 10cm over the length of the room. I'd really like to get this level and lay some tiles. Is this difficult to do? If I had to get someone in to do it, would I just ask the guys who lay flooring or would I need a joiner?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Even is you did have this 4" run off as long as the surface is even you could still tile.

Your neighbours down below must bump their heads occasionally.

Maybe the run off is in case the sink overflows, is there a little pipe though the wall at the lowest point:p

I'm afraid it is 10cm, I'd rather get it level as the kitchen cabinets are level ans the floor isn't so it looks a bit strange. Is it just a case of packing it out and puting hardboard down?

Sponsored Links
mmcmahon said:
I'm afraid it is 10cm, I'd rather get it level as the kitchen cabinets are level ans the floor isn't so it looks a bit strange. Is it just a case of packing it out and puting hardboard down?

Hardboard would not hold your weight. I would think you would need to batten the floor and use a minimum of 1/2" ply as the covering, then tile over. That could be a lot of extra weight depending upon the dimensions of the room. What is the floor below, is it suspended concrete or wooden joist construction. If its the later you may need to seek some advice from a structural engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back