Help and Ideas on boiler flue options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have a floor mounted gas boiler in my very well ventilated (brrrr) kitchen. The flue from the boiler goes up and out of the chimney stack (lined).

We're currently working on plans for an extension to the kitchen and I'd like to move away from having to have the kitchen very well ventilated to outside.

Is it possible to convert to balanced flue and still use the chimney...or is it a new boiler time in a new position?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to convert to balanced flue and still use the chimney

No
..or is it a new boiler time in a new position?
Yes
Some models have a lot of flue options, if you have difficulties.

The best you might be able to do is to place the external ventilation immediately behind the boiler so that there are no cross drafts in the kitchen.

However the improvement in efficiency from a nice new condensing boiler would lop about 35% off your gas bill.

Tony

Wow this is all very interesting - thank you very much.

I reckon we will end up creating a new utility room that would seem sensible to install the boiler in there.....I'm keen to avoid a combi as my bro is having trouble with losing pressure on the one he had installed.

Hopefully I can get a wall hung boiler and with vertical flue...and take it up through the ceiling..into the eaves of my chalet and then out through the roof tiles.

Shame I can't re-use the current boiler it's only 2-3 years old apparently

Sponsored Links
Open flued boilers require ventilation.
You CANNOT connect a balanced flue to a chimney

you will need to replace the boiler for a balanced flue room sealed model and disregard the chimney.[/i]

welsford46 said:
I'm keen to avoid a combi as my bro is having trouble with losing pressure on the one he had installed.
Careful here, he may have a leak in the system somewhere, which would cause
problems on an open vented system, though he wouldn't notice it. A well installed sealed system is a positive thing. I agree you should avoid a combi if you can find room for a domestic hot water cylinder, if you already have one of these beasts you must make sure it states BS1566 on the side or you will have to get a new one when you renew and move the boiler.
welsford46 said:
Hopefully I can get a wall hung boiler and with vertical flue...and take it up through the ceiling..into the eaves of my chalet and then out through the roof tiles.
Should be able to.
welsford46 said:
Shame I can't re-use the current boiler it's only 2-3 years old apparently
I am surprised the ventilation bothers you, knowing what I know I would be delighted to see that ventilation, it is your friend. Trust me.

ChrisR said:
Is it possible to convert to balanced flue and still use the chimney
.No
There was a post a few days ago about this and apparently there is a boiler with a balanced flue suitable for chimneys!
The main idea behind it, was for replacing BBUs,
Can't find the post so no further details.
Whatever happened to Gasmanuk?

Some models have a lot of flue options, if you have difficulties.

A word of warning from an installer, if you have to call out Keston service engineers (which you will trust me) then make sure the customer dosnt miss the appointment, mine did & Keston kindly sent me a bill for £82-25 call out charge, so i sent them an invoice for the several in warrenty visits i made to repair there crappy boilers.
Up until about a year ago Keston boilers wernt to bad, but recently i have has a lot of problems with faulty ignition & very noisy burners, i will not be installing any more despite the flexibe flue system.

PS. if your reading this Keston then start looking after the installers, no installers = no Keston

Rant over!!!!!

All b*ollox, you need to convert to a room sealed condensing boiler, simple as that guy cost normally 2,200 rubies ;) (pounds)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back