help bath tap tails too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm fitting a bath, bath was bought from somewhere different than the bath taps. With the bath being quite thick were the taps are and the tap tails being quite short, its left about 4 threads under near the bath. No were near enough to tighten the end feed 3/4 to 15mm tap connectors I have. Anyone come across this before any ideas what I can do.

Sponsored Links
Tap tails too short? Sounds more like the bath is too high. You will have to add 'something' to the pipes, valves/ straight connectors/or longer flexis.

its a new bath, its not the pipework that's a problem its the fact the the tails ( threaded bit on the tap) that comes through the bath after I have tighten the back nut theres only like 4 threads after the back nut to tighten the copper tap connectors which isn't enough to get it to bite to the fibre washer.

Sponsored Links
As been said, lower the bath or extend the pipes..

What else can you do..?!

Sorry I mean there isn't enough thread coming through the bath on the taps after the back nut to tighten a copper tap connector to I've tried doubling up on the fibre washers but still isn't enough thread to bite up to.

get 2 female iron /copper couplings 3/4 inch x 22 copper remove the backnuts and use the couplings in their place - you should find that will be ok for length to hold against the underside of the bath - the tap tail threads can be sealed with ptfe - though I would be making hemp grommets and using boss white :LOL: then you`ll need a stub of 22 copper - because the 22 fittings aren`t the same as 3/4 bsp threads on the taps :cry:

Its fibre glass, is about 1inch think there's a wood board encased in there fibre glass too were the taps are, noticed when drilled the taps.

I'd probs get it to bite if I used 3 fibre washers guessing this isn't right though?

the taps have quite a small thread on them I know I'd be able to get a different tap which would have a longer thread don't really want to do this though. The customer has brought things online from different places.

Is trying to pack it out with 2/ 3 fibre washers a bad idea? I'm going to try a flexi tomorrow to see if that requires less thread than a copper tap connector to bite up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back