Help! Black mould on porch ceiling - what is the cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I would really like to know the cause of the black mould growing on the ceiling in the porch. The porch is like a brick box stuck onto the outside of the ground floor maisonette. The ceiling is plaster over a reinforced concrete roof which supports a balcony for the maisonette above. The upstairs maisonette's door is next to this one and their entrance is for stairs going up to their flat. They do not have the mould in their porch. Both porches share the same reinforced concrete roof.
Is it condensation or is the roof leaking? By the way, there is no internal door between the external door and the main living area, but there is a door frame where one used to be. Does this cause any issues legally? The property was built in the late 70's, early 80's. Worried that if the problem is condensation then this could cause structural damage to the property above.
View media item 34547 View media item 34548 View media item 34549

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to think that it's a leak rather than condensation looking at the extent of it. I think a word with your upstairs neighbour and an examination of the balcony floor is the first step.Maybe take some pictures of it and post here too.
Legal issues? depends on several factors, do you own or rent?

You need to keep it well ventilated, if not condensation caused by warm air from home will cause damp and mold can take hold.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back