Help - boarding and insulation in an already converted (old) loft room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a loft room in the house we've recently bought that I need to sort out and as a total novice I'd appreciate some pointers if possible.

The whole room seems to be boarded with flimsy fibre board of some kind. The ceiling then has a layer of polystyrene glued to the board, and the whole room then has thick wallpaper all over. I'd like the walls/ceiling to be plasterboard, and insulated, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

My thoughts are whether to board over what's there, or pull it all back to the joists and do it from scratch. I'm honestly not a perfectionist when it comes to this type of job and would gladly choose the easier options.

If I board over what's there, with an insulated plasterboard, this would add around 50mm to every surface which is fine. BUT, I don't think I'd be able to access the space above the current layers to fill it with some deep insulation as well. IF I pull everything away I could properly insulate above and between the joists before attaching plasterboard.

The walls are going to be built out a bit to create enclosed storage in the eaves section. I'd like not to have to board all of the walls too, but if I board the ceiling then what do I do with the join at the edge, where the new plasterboards would meet the old stuff? The current join is floating, there's no joist or support behind it, so the edges of the fibreboard meet at an angle, unsupported, and are joined by the wallpaper!

On to the stud walls that I'll be building to create the closed storage - how would I attach the cls timber framework at the top? I guess I'll have to channel through the fibreboard on the eaves and fix them to the solid roof framework?

I'll add some photos and if anyone has ten minutes to offer any tips, which order to do things in and so on it'd be greatly appreciated!

https://postimg.org/gallery/29gq1lnxg/

Sponsored Links
I would pull the old stuff off, for the sake of a few tip runs it would let you see what's underneath and where's best to fix the new stuff to.

Having said that, I'm a novice too :)

Definitely pull it off to see what's there, and do it from scratch properly. It'll be less work for a better result.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back