Help: Boiler Woes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Profile Boiler that was until recently working fine.

A couple of weeks ago I had:
- the gas feed from the meter to the boiler upgraded from 12mm to 22mm.
- the heating changed from gravity to pressurised and a rad added in the loft conversion.

Since then the boiler has started cutting out. Re-setting seems to get it to fire up ok until it cuts out again next time.

I want to try to sort asap as the wife is getting bored of cold showers!

The plumber that did the work can't think of what the issue might be. Does anyone experienced similar / know what it might be.

Many Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Does stuff work when before it cuts out? How long is it alight for?

what temp number is the stat on?

On the Profiles you have to resite the thermostat phile from the outside of the pocket to inside the pocket. It could be as simple as that or the stats gone duff and when you reset is it the button underneath the boiler if it is that is the overheat limit stat.

Sponsored Links
Remove the bottom panel and there is a little slider switch which says pumped / gravity . move this to pumped to allow the pump over run circuit to be activated. And as cosmic say reposition thermostat into pocket as opposed to ouyside it. This will need front case removing.

Thanks for replies...

Does stuff work when before it cuts out?
YES

How long is it alight for?
It varies. Sometimes just until the next HW cycle.

What temp number is the stat on?
Thermostat is on approx 25deg

On the Profiles you have to resite the thermostat phile from the outside of the pocket to inside the pocket.
Afraid I'm not sure what "philes" or "pockets" refer to...

When you reset, is it the button underneath the boiler? if it is, that is the overheat limit stat.
Yes. I'm resetting using the button under the boiler. Why might it be overheating?

Many thanks.

Have a look on www.partsarena.com/baxi then search through potterton and profile instalation instructions it will give you drawings and explanation regards thermostat repositioning and altering pumped / gravity switch

These are not "boiler woes".

This is a very reliable simple basic boiler!

One wonders why you employ a "plumber" who you realise is not very clever and apparently has "no idea" whats wrong.

I am sure that most of the professionals here would have no problem in solving the problem if looking at your system.

Surely it should be your plumber asking us for advice? Not his client!

I do hope you have not paid him for this substandard work!

If he offers to do work for you then its only reasonable for you to expect that he is competent with such basic jobs.

Tony

So if it`s such as simple fault Agile why did you not answer it earlier as you have been on since it was first put on this morning...
As for blaming the plumber can you tell me another boiler that uses these 2 means of adjustment to change from gravity to fully pumped.
Who is to say plumber has not done this and it is another fault

Whatever the problem is any competent heating engineer should not have any problem diagnosing it on site.

We can excuse some people when dealing with complex microprocessor controlled boilers ( perhaps ) but this is a VERY simple system.

This was a CORGI registered person who should not be working on boilers if he does not have basic competence.

Its not always easy to guess when presented with non engineers descriptions of the problem on a forum however clever someone is.

Tony

As stated adjust settings on boiler for fully pumped...And

1. Has pump been wired back to boiler for over-run ?
2. (Shot in the dark) Is it a "S" plan system and does it have a BYPASS ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back