HELP ... can't get cylinder retaining screw out :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as per title, would like to change the cylinder lock in a UPVC door for a relative that has recently moved into a new property and the retaining screw isn't budging! I'm in real danger of rounding the head if I attempt anything further. I tried WD40 but in reality there's no space for it to penetrate. not sure if the screw is brass but it doesn't seem to be that tough in terms of the head retaining its crosshead shape, I can't therefore REALLY go for it as I'm 99% sure it'll just round off.

is there anything else I can do that will make this stubborn screw budge more easily? please don't say all I can do is drill it out :eek:

Sponsored Links
try applying heat, e.g. with the tip of a soldering iron

place the tip of the iron on the head of the screw.

Sponsored Links
I have this set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-GRA...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35d2719c04

Works every time, Got mine for £5 so probably worth shopping around a bit.
I also have a more expensive one that is titanium coated and cost £35 but the cheap one works better.

Just to add I cant recommended it enough as a handy tool to have, I have yet to come across a screw it cant remove. Ive probably jinxed it now as I will be using it later today to remove 4 old shagged flat head screws.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have this set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-GRA...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35d2719c04

Works every time, Got mine for £5 so probably worth shopping around a bit.
I also have a more expensive one that is titanium coated and cost £35 but the cheap one works better.

Just to add I cant recommended it enough as a handy tool to have, I have yet to come across a screw it cant remove. Ive probably jinxed it now as I will be using it later today to remove 4 old s*****d flat head screws.

i'll definitely try that, thanks, and thanks for all other advice from others as well :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i KNOW no one's interested but i'm telling you anyway ;)

i got it out :cool: tbh just persevered and it budged before it got too rounded. new cylinder ordered so i'll have a shiny new screw to use :D

i KNOW no one's interested but i'm telling you anyway ;)

i got it out :cool: tbh just persevered and it budged before it got too rounded. new cylinder ordered so i'll have a shiny new screw to use :D

Nah you don't get new screws with them, you have to use the old one.

Only kidding! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back