Strange 'tamper proof' retaining screw on UAP euro cylinder

but why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped up but why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped upbut why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped upbut why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped upbut why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped upbut why can't you just use a small flat bladed screwdriver, the screw shouldn't be that tight, they're only just nipped up

Sponsored Links
having seen your pic i would be tempted to use a small punch and knock the screw round anti clockwise that would be enough just to loosen it costs nothing to try

TBH the lower one is a T20 from the looks and the cylinder screw is a messed up pozi.
Get a chisel (old one) and nip the edge around to free it, then a small blade driver will remove it.

I agree with alarm, the screw is a pozi drive that someone has overtightned and deformed. Screw extractor kit will work on this if efforts have failed with a regular pozi.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the screw underneath is a T20. The cylinder screw is definitely NOT a 'messed up pozi', as all the four curled slots are identical and symmetrical, with no burrs or imperfections. It is a perfect 'propeller' shape. The photo doesn't show it clearly, but it is clear with the naked eye.

Tap the fooker around then as suggested.
Not got a driver like that in my set!

Yes, the screw underneath is a T20. The cylinder screw is definitely NOT a 'messed up pozi', as all the four curled slots are identical and symmetrical, with no burrs or imperfections. It is a perfect 'propeller' shape. The photo doesn't show it clearly, but it is clear with the naked eye.

To me thats a 'messed up pozi', think about it, if it was an anti tamper screw then the burred/messed up/sloped bits would be on the other side of the slot, so it couldn't be unscrewed, this screw has been overtightened

To me thats a 'messed up pozi', think about it, if it was an anti tamper screw then the burred/messed up/sloped bits would be on the other side of the slot, so it couldn't be unscrewed, this screw has been overtightened

Agreed, the "anti-tamper" is the wrong direction.
I bet this was tightened up with a cordless with a bad bit.

This is a sentinel screw. It is not intended to be removed.
Please see:-
http://www.securityfasteners.net/Se...tinel-Countersunk-Security-Machine-Screw.html
If you are convinced that it is retaining the cylinder then the best solution is to snap it.
Could you provide a wide angle photo showing the relationship to the cylinder ?
DC
Teamlocksmiths

With respect i think your wrong, look at the what you think is the anti tamper, its on the wrong edge, the way it is now would effectively stop you tightening it but let you undo it

I beg to differ, having used the sentinel`s in a "prison environment" and they are not as secure as they think!

If people think that it is an 'over tightened' posidrive head and it has been distorted equally on each slot, then the curves or 'swirls' would be rotating in a clockwise direction, but if you look at the photo, the swirls go in an anti clockwise direction. The door was new when I had it fitted so in theory, the screw has never been slackened to cause anti clockwise dusfigurement.
Mr Dc77, if you look at one of the photos, it does show the screw in line with one of the bottom of the euro cylinder.

Well a better picture would make it a bit easier to see. But I still think it was badly fitted.
Snapping is the last option you want, as it can damage the lockcase.

I cannot see why you have not "nibbled" at it with a old chisel and just tapped it around. Never seen a "security" screw yet worth the price they charge for.

As far as I can tell, the distortion is in a clockwise direction, consistent with a pozidrive screw applying pressure in a clockwise direction to a screw made of softer metal.

Perhaps someone could overtighten a pozi and post a pic if they can find one with soft enough metal?

Look again at the pic Mr Cajar, particularly the one showing the side if the lock. The curves clearly twist to the left, which would indicate distortion when trying to slackened, not tighten, if it were due to a mangled pozi head, which I don't think it is, owing to the uniformity and no burring!
Mr alarm, I will have a nibble at it when I have exhausted the possibility of not getting an appropriate screw bit. I have gently tried it with a pozi head this afternoon, but it is very tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back