Strange 'tamper proof' retaining screw on UAP euro cylinder

just looked at the picture, I can't see how it can be anything else other than a chewed philips/pozi through overtightening or incorrect bit used. Everything in the photo points to just that..... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not a standard Philips that's been overtightened?

An impact driver might shift it.

EDIT - Sorry Bullet - didn't see your post. I think we both think the same though.

Hello everyone. I have today taken the bull by the horns and borrowed an 'impact screwdriver'! I selected the most appropriate looking Philips screw bit and gave it two or three belts with a hammer. To my amazement the screw has finally moved, luckily, as the head is now vitally destroyed. God, the bugger was tight, and fortunately the door didn't fall off, but that would explain the disfigured head! I guess those who thought it was a disfigured standard pozi or Philips all along were probably right. I must admit I thought it was an unusual security screw, as I have seen many 'mangled' Philips head screws through over tightening, but none as uniform or pristine as this one with no burrs on it! Anyway, stupid brainless door assemblers, with electric tools to blame.
Thanks to everyone for your comments and offers of advice and possible solutions. I have made sure I didn't 'brutalise' the screw on the new euro cylinder when I replaced it!![/b]

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mr Alarm. It was the only decent thing to do to let comments know the outcome, seeing as people took the trouble to comment in the first place. Cheers

Hi Kevtom, I have come across these before, you could try to use a screw extactor that looks like a drill bit but it grips in reverse. Also you could try tapping it round with narrow puch and a hammer and give it slight taps till its out far enough to get pliers on it. the only other problem you might find is that they have lock tight on the thread which will make it slightly a little harder to get out. or look on the screfix web site for Trend Pro Grabit Screw and Bolt Remover 2 Pieces, product code: 21391. hope this helps

You did not, was pointing it out.
Hence a wink. Not a Evil grin.

Text was in case you use glasses ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back