Problem removing euro-cylinder lock retaining screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm trying to replace the lock on our back door but have a problem with the retaining screw. It looks like someone has had a serious go at it in the past and I cant get it out. I've removed the handles to give it a little movement, tried wd40, giving it a tap with a hammer etc etc.

Obviously I dont want break the screw and get it stuck in the door but I'm running out of ideas about how to get it to move. I'm sure this must be a common problem? I'm presuming drilling them out is a non-starter due to the length.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
With the handles off get a big pair of adjustable spanners OR mole grips and tighten them up on the flat part of the barrel, give it an good sharp jolt sideways, it should snap down the middle where the locating screw goes in, then just remove each half from either side and this should leave the screw just sat there so you can fiddle it out with your fingers

Thanks for the reply. Is the screw normally just screwed (secured) into the lock itself? I can see that it doesn't come through the other side but I was worried about shearing off the screw and then being left with the remainder of the screw inside the door if it was threaded.

The screw is only threaded into the barrel and not the door so once the barrel is out then the screw is loose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I'm going to have to leave it until another day as I wanted to get the barrel out so I could make sure I get the right replacement length. I'll need to either wait until someone else is here or just buy one in advance and get one of each (its either 80 or 85mm)

You might want to have someone at home when you do it. A lot of euro locks are split different way Not always a 50/50 split.Last one I fitted was a 40/60 split.

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to leave it until another day as I wanted to get the barrel out so I could make sure I get the right replacement length. I'll need to either wait until someone else is here or just buy one in advance and get one of each (its either 80 or 85mm)

In that case just measure from the centre of the screw outwards to each end of the barrel..........theres your size, simples :D

You could always drill a series of small holes into the screw head to form a slot, then use a slotted screwdriver - Had to do this on numerous occasions when a fitter has been a little too keen on showing his strength!

Thanks for that suggestion too. I'm going to get a replacement and then maybe give the suggestions a shot. I'll probably try drilling first and then try breaking the lock as a final resort.

Id try to get the lock out first, and ensure your measurements are correct - try not to leave any (or at most a few mm's) of the cylinder proud of the handles, as this will minimise the possibility of a brute force attack.
Good luck.

Just wanted to say thank you for the adjustable spanner idea.

Tried drilling out the screw and compleatly messed that up. Tried your way and it worked no problem :) btw it were a profile cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back