Key stuck in euro cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I swapped the front and back door euro cylinders a couple of days ago. Replaced them with avocet abs ones. Pretty straightforward. Backdoor works fine. Front door was okay too.

This evening, I was showing SWMBO about using the locks. Somehow, I put the key in, pulled the handle up to engage multipoint locks, turned the key to lock it and it became stuck. There was no way I was able to open the door.

The key wouldnt turn. With a bit of force, I was able to pull the door handle down so I could at least open the door.

The key still doesn't turn. I've removed the retaining screw and the door handles but I can't remove the cylinder. The key now rotates about 15* in either direction. i've tried a second key on the other side of the lock but no joy.

I'm at a loss and short of calling a locksmith I'm not sure what I should do next.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the handle mechanism assembly is at issue, but until you get the lock out you can't take the assembly out. I assume you've tried lifting and lowering the handle now the doors open.

You've got anti bump and antisnap locks there, so I suspect you'll need a locksmith. Is the key on the inside, or the outside though. If the keys on the outside (where the snap piece is) then you may be able to break the front off, and then release the retaining screw.

@Doggit The door handle now moves up and down as it should and the multipoint locks slide.

Key is on the inside.

Edit: I've since tried to move the handle up and down whilst turning the key. If I move the handle up, there's a bit of movement (about 30 degrees) when i turn the key. If I move the handle down, the key turns slightly without me touching it, but if i try and move the key, there's no movement.

Last edited:
If the key won't turn, then it has to be a broken handle mechanism assembly. I assume that you fitted the cylinder the right way round, not that that should make a difference. Have you taken out the retaining screw to see if that'll loosen the cylinder to give a bit more wriggle room as you try and turn the key.

Sponsored Links
The cylinder came with one side stamped EXT which i pointed to the outside of the house.

I tried loosening and also removing the screw to no avail though will try again knowing that the handle position affects things.

It looks as though you've done everything correctly, so best of luck giving it another go; I doubt if you'll be able to drill the lock out (it's too good for that unless you've got titanium coated drills) so I think a locksmith will be needed. Unless someone else steps in with a few better suggestions.

Well, to update, I finally got a locksmith out this week. They ended up drilling through the door to turn the cam and allow the lock to come out. The lock itself was fine. The gearbox mechanism was completely knackered and despite spending time on it, he was unable to repair so replaced it.

Works fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back